Saturday, May 25, 2013

Lifestyle Change by Margot Justes

I can’t say I’ve always wanted to be a writer, but I’ve always been a reader.  The need for a challenge allowed me to become a writer. When faced with mundane tasks, I’d hear voices in my head, and that was becoming more frequent when at work. My characters would hold some lively conversations, until one day I said enough, you’ll be heard. I started writing.

It was that easy, at least that is what I thought. I was wrong. Musings are lovely, but to make coherent observations, learn whose point of view (POV) you’re in, and all the other lovely writing essentials are hard to come by-osmosis notwithstanding.

It’s a continuous learning experience, one that keeps me challenged, that was after all what the process was all about. The challenge of putting a coherent product out, keep the voices in your head happy, and  get better with every word, while at the same time make it  fun. Writing for me has to be joyful, it cannot be a drudge, because then it becomes laborious in the worst sense possible.

I don’t plot out my stories, I have an idea and go with it. The most fun I have is when characters interact with each other, and take me on their journey. More often than not they surprise me. It keeps the process fresh and enjoyable, except when the evil writing block hits, and the voices are silenced. So far they have always returned.

I didn’t want my writing to become homework, an obligation. I wanted to have fun with it and learn by reading others, doing research, which I love doing anyway, and just seeing where it would lead. That was my first lifestyle change as a writer. I still kept my day job, and wrote in the evenings and on weekends when possible. That became increasingly more difficult.

My formal retirement notice was eighteen months-probably the longest in the company’s history. There was a perfectly logical reason to do so. I gave myself enough time to make sure I was disciplined enough to become a full time writer, and making it official meant I wasn’t going to back down. now that time is fast approaching, two more weeks to be exact, and I’ll be a full time writer. I’m ready for next journey.

It’s never too late to change.

Cheers,
Margot  Justes
A Hotel in Paris
A Hotel in Bath
Hearts & Daggers
Hot Crimes Cool Chicks
www.mjustes.com

 

5 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

Only two weeks away! Those will be incredibly long weeks for you, Margot!

Morgan Mandel
http://www.morganmandel.com

Margot Justes said...

Morgan,
I know. It will be strange after so many years of working outside the house, I'll be working home, and doing something I love.
Margot
www.mjustes.com

Debra St. John said...

How fun Margot!

Congratulations on your retirement and the beginning of your 'new' life. I can't wait to read more stories from you! (Whatever happened with the Vampire one?!)

Margot Justes said...

Deb,
Thank you. The vampire will be out this September. The story takes place during Christmas in Chicago, I want to release it close to the holidays.
Margot
www.mjustes.com

Deb Larson said...

Margot ~
What an exciting time for you. I love it when quitting one things means starting another that you love. Much success to you!!
DL Larson