Saturday, May 18, 2013

Aruba by Margot Justes


Last island on our itinerary, like Bonaire, it’s another gorgeous Dutch Island, and the most developed and most cosmopolitan of the islands we visited. It was interesting to see the progression, and the distinctive personality of each island, while at the same time it was a relaxing experience. Life is slower,  it’s closer to home and the pressure to do everything in one day is not there.  

Aruba is lively, energetic and filled with tourist shops, beautiful hotels and an abundance of tourists. If you like to shop, know your prices well. I bought T-shirts for my kiddies, and Aloe cream, which I will admit is fantastic for sunburns and general care, but it can found on line. Most things are available home for less, tax savings notwithstanding.

Took a morning tour to visit a few boulders, and I had a lump on my head to prove it. To get to the top you had to crawl through a small hole, not that small since I fit, but it was too close for comfort. The guide said keep head low, of course I looked up and heard a resounding thud; that was my head and the boulder meeting. I lost, boulder is okay, but it was touch and go for a bit.

Once I reached to the top, it was worth the egg shape rock on my head. Aruba was below, the view was worth the headache, literally. The way back was interesting too, a gorge below, and the only thing between you and the bottom were uneven deep and shallow steps, and a life saving railing. I’m not the most coordinated individual, and all the way down I did not let go of the railing, and actually looked where I was going, something I tend not to do.

We visited an Aloe factory and I bought a few bottles of the stuff for gifts. Good thing the stuff works, since I had a nice sunburn, a farmer’s burn to be precise. Uneven at best.

I also forget to wear a hat, not a smart thing to do when it’s scorching hot. It was neatly stashed in my purse, where it remained for the whole tour.

The afternoon was spent with my friend and next door neighbor. She was spending two weeks in Aruba and we met to do some sightseeing on our own. Aruba is a place where you go to relax and unwind. I’m not a beach person, but enjoy being around water, and no matter where you are there are always things to see.

After we boarded the ship, I went for a dip in the indoor pool, where the waves relaxed my achy muscles. It’s a tidal pool, the sea water is treated, but still salty, and as the ship lolls so does the water in the pool,  you wind up riding the waves. Delicious feeling.

The captain announced that it was going to be a stormy night, and anyone susceptible to sea sickness, should take precautions, pills were available. I thought I had my sea legs firmly in place, but walking in a straight line was impossible.

Cheers,
Margot  Justes
A Hotel in Paris
A Hotel in Bath
Hearts & Daggers
Hot Crimes Cool Chicks
www.mjustes.com




2 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

And the Beach Boys love it there too!
Very lovely pictures, Margot!

Deb Larson said...

Your vacation just keeps coming!
What wonderful pics!
DL Larson