Saturday, May 11, 2013

Bonaire by Margot Justes


 
 





Bonaire is a beautiful, developed, rather wealthy, and arid Dutch island. The shopping is abundant but expensive, it’s best to know your prices.

Once we docked, a short stroll down the pier and across the street was a garden, and in the garden, an art fair. Tents were pitched and one display after another showcased the local talent. I was in heaven. I bought a couple tiny original drawings for my kiddies, they both love fish, and these were local to the island. I tried to find a clown fish, but Nemo was not available.

This time I didn’t take a tour, but instead walked along the beautiful pristine shore, the water is crystal clear, and we could see fish and various reefs. This island is a paradise for snorkeling and scuba diving, and any other water activity. I’m a land lubber, but do appreciate natural beauty, and I find water mesmerizing.

I stopped for coffee, and in the al fresco setting, I listened as the water lapped against the rocks; the rhythmic sound of the waves almost put me to sleep. This is an island where you sit and enjoy, you do not rush,  you whisper a soft thank you just for being there. Truly relaxing.

Once we left the port, I watched our huge ship glide along the waves and not sink. I know water is heavy and there is displacement involved, but it’s still magic, and incredibly peaceful. After dinner, and the serene day on the island, I went for a swim and watched the stars. To make the day more perfect, I was alone in the pool, and Tom Jones serenaded me as I swam. I happen to love Tom Jones’ voice.

As promised, the Barbados fish cake recipe courtesy of the Sunbury Plantation.
Ingredients:
1/2 lb boneless salt or Cod fish
1lb flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Green seasonings/chives
Onions/Thyme
Sweet Pepper/Marjoram
Hot Pepper Salt to taste
Cooking oil (to fry)
Water to mix

Method
Soak salt fish overnight. Clean thoroughly, removing skin, vein and bones. Mince fish & chop all seasonings finely, including hot pepper. In a medium bowl combine all ingredients except salt. Gradually add water until mixture reaches to a ‘drop’ consistency. (Mixture must be able to drop from a teaspoon in small balls.) Add salt to taste. Fry in hot oil (deep fry) until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel; serve hot with dip of ketchup and hot pepper sauce mixed together.

The fish cakes were positively delicious.

Cheers,
Margot  Justes
A Hotel in Paris
A Hotel in Bath
Hearts & Daggers
Hot Crimes Cool Chicks
www.mjustes.com

2 comments:

Deb Larson said...

Lovely pictures! You must have had a WONDERFUL time!!
Thanks for sharing with us.

Margot Justes said...

Deb,
I did, and that vacation was relaxing, something I tend not to do across the 'pond'.
Margot