Saturday, August 15, 2009

I would like to introduce Terry Kate from Romance in the Backseat. I spent a bit of time with Terry on the phone,and received some great advice on internet marketing, and quickly asked Terry to share. She graciously accepted. Thank you Terry,
Margot Justes
www.mjustes.com

Hello,
I want to thank Margot so much for having me on this fabulous blog!
I'm going to tell all you fabulous authors out there a little story, readers please chime in and tell me if you agree. My accidental fall into the area of PR consulting.
I started my site http://www.romanceinthebackseat.com" with the idea that the more video interviews I did, literally in the backseat - think Taxicab Confessions - the more readers would discover the site. Each author would bring in their viewers and the site would grow and grow and I would be a fabulous success.
It didn't work.
In order for it to work authors would need to be in touch with their fans. Some are, most... are not. So I had to take on the duty of reaching out to readers and not only that often tell the occasionally clueless how to reach out to their own readers!
I know you took the time to write the book, but guess what? The job ain't done. Great book... sitting there... collecting dust... You can write something 10x as excellent, funny, suspenseful, as the next person and not sell as well. Why?
Readers did not know to pick your most excellent book up!
So here are a few tips - and just a few - Like I said I consult, you want more - email me.
1- Please, Please, PLEASE , look at your site statistics. If you are not looking at them you are running blind. What are you doing online that is working? What is a wast of your time? Readers where do you find out about new authors? That is the type of thing you NEED to know.
2- DO NOT LURK!
If you are an author or aspiring author you are not allowed to lurk online. What good is that for getting your name out there? Even if you are not yet published there are a TON of things you can be doing that will put you in a position of power next time you sit down with an editor or agent.
3- Leave an ACTIVE link when you comment under your name. I know I know this often means you have to write out some code, but too bad, suck it up, it is one line of code you need to learn once. DO IT!
So does that help? Are you already doing all of the above? If the answer is yes then awesome! If not, please start. Help yourself get the word out, I do not care WHO your publisher is or HOW much attention you think your House is giving you. YOU always have to do it for yourself. I have worked with very high profile NYT Bestsellers with direct phone calls from the head publicists from the biggest name houses and it did diddly. People who put in the leg work get thousands of hits a day!
I know it can stink that once you finish a great book there is still tons more work to do, but it is sadly true. If anyone has any questions about the article please leave a comment and I will check in and answer on the blog here.
Feel free to email me at romanceinthebackseat @ gmail.com

Thank you again for having me here,
Terry Kate
http://www.romanceinthebackseat.com

8 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

Your website is fabulous. I am so jealous. Did you design it yourself?
Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
http://www.morganmandel.com

June said...

Hi, Terry! Thanks for joining us today and sharing some excellent advice. I enjoyed it very much and realize I have a ton more work to do!

Best,
June

www.junesproat.com

Terry Kate said...

I did indeed build the site, and thank you so much for the kind words about it. It is a ton of work but I do love it. Email me and I will give you the code - I still see comments without active links - Let me help you out. I would write it out for you here, but blogger will read it and not show you the code. Thanks for having me and I hope I helped a little.
Terry Kate
Romance in the Backseat

jimjamjim said...

If I wanted to be in advertising I would have become an ad salesmen, I am a writer and thats what I do now in order to sell a book I need to become my own cheer leader. holy calamity Batman. I wish someone would just tell me exactly what to do, thanks for the tips to get me started you do consulting right? Ill contact you through your web site.

Debra St. John said...

Hi Terry, Sorry I'm checking in late, I was out and about all day yesterday. I was very excited when Margot mentioned she was having you as her guest. I had just checked out your web-ste via a post from my publisher, Wild Rose Press.

Thanks for the promotion tips!

Terry Kate said...

Hi Debra,
I am so happy, I have worked with some amazing authors from your house. I really think they put out some great books and I would love to hear more about what you write.

Jim,
I look forward to hearing from you!
Terry Kate
Romance in the Backseat

Margot Justes said...

Hi Terry,
I'm a bit late in thanking you for joining us-left for Nashville, Friday early am and return flight cancelled yesterday and just got back this afternoon.
So, thank you and agree with Morgan, wonderful web site.

Margot Justes
www.mjustes.com

Deb Larson said...

Hi Terry!
Sorry for being so late - but I really value your opinions and would love to learn more.
Thanks for being with us!
DL Larson
www.DLLARSON.com