Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Tax Man

I've got the tax man beating down the doors - Real estate tax is due March 1, followed on the heels by good old income tax. It's amazing how the real estate values have gone down in our area, yet the tax bill still goes up!

As far as income tax is concerned, I'd like to say I keep everything in order for easy access, but that would be a lie. Today, I'll be hunting around for all the necessary ingredients for a completed tax return. Actually, that will take more than one day. However, it must be done in the next few weeks, since the appointment with the accountant looms on March 8. 

Anyway, I do keep all of my receipts, and make copies of all the expenses for publishing and promoting my books, plus donations, medical bills, etc. I just have to put it all in order.  

What about you? Are you ready for the Tax Man? 



Morgan Mandel writes romances, thrillers &
mysteries. Find all of Morgan's books at

Connect on Twitter: @MorganMandel

3 comments:

Debra St. John said...

I always try to get my taxes done as soon as I have all of the proper materials. This year it was Uncle Sam himself holding things up. The library didn't have all of the tax forms available until last weekend. Now I have my ducks in a row, and I'll be out of town this coming weekend. Maybe I'll have time to work on them on Sunday.

Margot Justes said...

I try to keep everything in one pile-try-being the operative word. Doesn't always work.
Margot

Morgan Mandel said...

All the stuff is in two folders, but I also type out my check register in excel, because no one can read it.

Then I color code the various expenses so I can pick them out easily.

Still lots of sorting to do.

Morgan Mandel