Thursday, February 7, 2013

Rules To Live By, by DL Larson

As I make my way through the process of having my book made ready for publication, I've been doing my homework on book covers and setting up a promotional strategy.  All takes time and effort.  Perhaps out of desperation, maybe fear of indecision, I started cruising the stacks at my library, hoping to find inspiration.  Actually I hoped I would find a book cover that gave me what I wanted, the perfect picture.  I would then say Yes!  This part of this book excites me and that part of that book compliments the first part and now I have what I need.  So far that has not happened.  I've since moved on to another strategy.

Yet my wanderings did put a book in my hands.  Colin Powell's book, "It Worked For Me," seemed just what I needed.  Maybe inspiration was what I was searching for.  In the first part of the book, Mr. Powell shares his 13 rules for his life.   Here are a few:
"It ain't as bad as you think.  It will look better in the morning."
"Get mad, then get over it."
"It can be done."
"Be careful what you choose.  You may get it."

Having read his 13 Rules and the reasons for them, I wrote down my own Rules To Live By.  This is what I came up with:
1. Endeavor to persevere:  yes, for those movie buffs, this is from Jerimiah Johnson. But it reminds me to never give up - another rule I had written down.
2. Self-control: with my temper it is a constant reminder to behave myself, think of others and to keep my mouth shut - or at least think about refraining from spouting off.
3. Believe in yourself : I've told this to my kids so many times, I actually believe it now!
4. I've been thinking ... or Let's sleep on it:  My husand and I have started many conversations with, "I've been thinking ..."  which ususally gets the response of, "ut-oh." But allowing our ideas to grow and flourish is healthy and good.
5. Faith, Family, Friends: my philosophy is: Keep them in order; keep them together; Keep them close!
6. Laughter is the best medicine: my family and I love to  laugh - we are extremely good at it and we just keep getting better and better as time goes by.
7. You can do it! or Never Give Up, or If at first you don't succeed, try, try again:  I used to spout that to my kids every chance I could, "we Larsons are not quitters! " And now, all these years later, my kids tell me, "Mom, you can't quit being a writer.  We Larson are not quitters!"  I actually like being reminded of that.  Makes me stronger somehow.
8. Toughen Up Buttercup! or Suck it up, Buttercup: As a writer, I need to be thick skinned or I won't last in this business.  Rejections can feel like a stab to the heart, but I re-evaluate the comments made and move on. 
9. Cry babies don't get their way in this house: Whining does nothing productive.  I wouldnt allow my kids to get away with it and I don't accept it as a solution for myself either.  This is one of those rules I wish more parents who put in their rule book.
10. Forgiveness heals:  Once I forgive, I feel better and I can move on, be productive once again.  Some wounds run deep, but that's when #5 comes into affect.  I can't always forgive on my own.  But the Man Upstairs can wipe away any hurt.  I just have to remember to use his special tools.

So what Rules do you have for your life?  Share a few with us.

Til next time ~

DL Larson



4 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

Great positive thinking! You can do it!

Checking out the bestseller lists online is also an easy way to find covers you like.

Morgan Mandel
http://www.morganmandel.com

Deb Larson said...

I'll keep that in mind. We usually stock those, but sometimes it takes awhile.
DL

Margot Justes said...

Deb,
Wonderful post. For the hotel series, my cover artist used pictures I took and created beautiful covers. Maybe that might work for you.
Margot
www.mjustes.com

wendala2 said...

I am a bit behind in reading your posts. Love, love, love this one!!!!! I think I heard these a time or two. You rock AD!!!!!! I promote you whenver I can to people who will listen. Keep on writing and we will keep reading.