Saturday, March 22, 2008

Finding a Voice by Margot Justes

\

I spent six hours at Artists’ Own in Lafayette, Indiana last Saturday. A book signing that suited me perfectly well-it was after all, in a gallery.

I had a great opportunity to observe the customers coming in to browse.

Some were delighted and walked over for a chat, others approached cautiously, while still others took a post card, smiled and walked away.

In the process, I found out I need to slow down when I read, and not be so nervous. Pack some punch and project action into my voice and simply relax, of course that is easier said than done.

Then I thought about my role model, Sara Paretsky.

I once heard Ms. Paretsky read to a packed audience. It was amazing-her voice firm, resounding, captivating. Sheer theatre…Ms. Paretsky reached her audience without apparent effort.

Something to strive for...

Till next Saturday,
Margot Justes
A Hotel in Paris
The Heat of the Moment
Available on amazon.com
www.mjustes.com
Echelon Press LLC

No comments: