Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Clearing out the clutter

Been working real hard lately to clear out the clutter in my life. It's not easy going through and making decisions about what to keep and what not to keep, especially for someone with OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. But unlike Monk, mine manifested itself in keeping stacks and stacks of stuff like magazines, books, newspapers, etc. Don't think I'll be getting my own show - not quite as quirky as Monk. Anyway, been recycling and giving away bunches and bunches of stuff.

It was amusing to take magazines to the train station where I live. The magazines disappeared almost as soon as I put them in the magazine rack. At least folks like my taste in reading materials. I don't think the recycle guy is as amused, however. He's really had to work hard these past few weeks at my stop and he'll have to continue to work in the weeks to come. Feels good to get rid of things that have been weighing me down.

OCD has also gotten in the way of my writing and I realize now it's kept me from making the kind of progress I've wanted to. But now than I'm actively getting rid of clutter and moving forward my writing has started to flow.

One of my projects is a episodic blog about a therapist who is struggling to maintain a healthy relationship with her rebellious teenage daughter while going through her own emotional upheaval triggered by some of the experiences of her patients. Check it out:

http://therapy-101.blogspot.com/

I'm working on episode 2 this week. So, we'll see how this goes.

No comments: