Wednesday, October 31, 2007

DANGER ZONE - LIBRARY? By Morgan Mandel












Last Friday, against my better judgment I ventured once again to the Arlington Heights Memorial Library for the Friends of the Library Night book sale. This is the special night reserved for Friends of the Library members the night before the general public book sale starts. To be a friend, it's only $5.00, so it's worth the investment.

Between autographed books from friends I absolutely will not part with and books I would like to read but never seem to get a chance to, I own an overabundance of books. I had no business adding more to my collection but couldn't resist.

Although the library organizes the event by passing out numbers so everybody doesn't rush in at once, the sales room is a scene of semi-controlled bedlam. No one tramples on anyone, but sometimes they do come close. People sit or stoop to look at books under the tables, while others try to get around them. It's difficult to spend any amount of time trying to check what a book is about because there are so many people dying to get into the same area.


Then there are the notorious booksellers making their rounds with mini-computers which scan books into programs to gauge what the books are worth. These people are fast and know what they're doing. Before an average person can even pick up a book, it's swiped up into a huge canvas bag and deposited in the stage area, where boxes are kept. Entire dollies are wheeled out with what I assume are priceless books that will be for sale on e-bay or in bookstores.

Despite the bustle, I, being adventurous about stuff I really want, do try to get to the Friends of the Library Book Sale whenever I can. So, I did brave the mob and managed to pick up a few goodies for my collection - a few cds and some promising-looking books which I hope to finish before the next book sale, but probably won't be able to.


While I did my browsing, I happened to run into my hair stylist, Dan, from Village Family Hair Care, 108 North Evergreen, in downtown Arlington Heights. I'm including his photo, along with another from the event.

By the way, if you live in the area and need a good haircut, Dan can be reached at 847-259-4464. Tell him Morgan sent you. If you come to his shop, you'll notice my bookmarks, business cards and postcards on the counter by the register. I never miss a chance at promotion if I can help it.

Until next time,

All the best,
Morgan Mandel


Mark your calendar: Meet Morgan Mandel and DL Larson at the Schaumburg Barnes & Noble book signing ... on Thursday, November 29th, 7:00 - 8:30 p.m.







No comments: