Thursday, July 26, 2007

ICU - not your regular text message!

ICU - intensive care unit - that's where I've been hanging out for the last few weeks. I'm a couple hours from home, living out of a suitcase that right now holds only dirty clothes. It's time to go home. I'm tired of hospital food, weary of deciphering doctor speak, and really miss my own bed.

But my family continues to rally around the ICU waiting room, giving up vacation days, personal days and unexcused absences for a few. But still we stay. We chit chat, we walk the halls, we retell old stories and try to nap in lumpy chairs. And we wait.

I'm sure many of you have been in the same situation. I don't know what to pray for anymore and the good Lord knows my wishes anyway. I want my mother-in-law to get better. I want the horror of watching her deteriorate to vanish from my mind. But this isn't a story I can rearrange. I don't even know the outcome yet. I can't write the main character out of her tragedy. I wish I could. Oh, how I wish I could.

A month ago Skip was out golfing, beating my son and husband, laughing and teasing just as she loves to do. She's a fighter and I know that's why we all wait, hoping for the miracle that will make her whole once more.

I know I've written about death before in this column, but it seems to be the summer of reflection and so I have spent these last few weeks thinking back on what a wonderful influence Skip has had on my life. Whether she lives or dies, I will cherish the memories we have already made and will give thanks for each day we have with her from today on.

Skip has encouraged my writing from the onset. She's an avid reader and likes to compare my books with other authors, always favoring my style over someone else's. I'm sure she'd think she isn't worthy of mentioning in one of my blogs. But I know she is. She's the perfect character for a fun, light-hearted spoof. She's silly in a I Love Lucy kind of way, ornery when you least expect it and loves to gamble. I'd put her on a gambling boat and let the mystery unfold.

Since I am writing on the ICU waiting room computer, my time is up and I haven't really said all I wanted. Please forgive my abrupt end and for not writing last week. I hope you understand I was busy with family and I must return to them now.

Til next time ~

DL Larson

2 comments:

Margot Justes said...

Deb,

I hope things improve for the better quickly.

Margot

Romance Readers Digest said...

Our good thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.