Saturday, June 30, 2012

Swept by History by Margot Justes

I spent a long weekend in Alexandria, Virginia visiting my daughter. I took my granddaughter with me, and I must say she was incredible. I  plan to make this an annual event with her. She said she loved it, even though she got a work out.


It was hot and humid and the little munchkin didn't complain. A few stops at Starbucks along the way helped, bottles of water and hats were required at all times.


We walked all along King Street, took a boat ride to Mt. Vernon and visited Washington's home. My granddaughter is interested in American History and she certainly got quite a glimpse.


We spent a day in DC and visited the Vietnam Memorial. It is one of the most poignant and profound memorials I have ever seen. 


The Lincoln Memorial is nearby and we climbed up and paid a visit, and the view of the Washington Memorial is quite amazing from that site. We walked by the White House, and she took many pictures through the fence.


The Smithsonian was not left out, we stopped at the National Gallery and daughter Dina introduced me to an amazing portrait done by Chuck Close. A marvelous, huge portrait of a remarkable, worn, feisty and spirited face. Truly an astounding piece. Finger painting at its best. I will have to visit again. I'm making plans to go back end of September. After all, I have to visit my daughter.


To round out our history lesson, we stopped at the American History Museum.  


Cheers,
Margot  Justes
Hearts & Daggers
A Hotel in Paris
Hot Crimes Cool Chicks
www.mjustes.com

10 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

Glad you had a good time, Margot!

Morgan Mandel
http://morgansbooklinks.blogspot.com

exercise to lose weight fast said...

Well done:)

roulette tips said...

I would like to see more posts like this.

perfectessay said...

never thought about it.

Margot Justes said...

Morgan,
I had a great time.

Exercise to lose weight fast,
Thank you, glad you liked it.

Roulette tips,
I love writing about travel and will do more. I'll re-post some of my blogs on the Greek Islands.

Margot
www.mjustes.com

samedayessay said...

I found your post very interesting. I’ve bookmarked this page and will visit again. Thanks

Margot Justes said...

Samedayessay,
Thank you for the lovely words.
Margot

ordertermpaper said...

good post!

poker terms said...

very cool article

samedayessay review said...

Thanks for the interesting interview