Sunday, June 24, 2012

Summer Writing Journal - Entry #2

I have to say, I've had a very productive writing week. In the morning, my first task is to check e-mail and blogs I participate in. I've made an effort to keep this time to a half hour or less, and it seems to be working well.

This week my main task for blogging was to put together a guest's blog post at Heroines with Hearts, another of my blogs. (If you'd like a peek, Nancy Jardine's post on cover art is fabulous!)

The overall big task for the week was doing a full read-through of my mss. I've been editing, revising, rewriting, deleting and now it was time to see if all of those changes flowed. Turns out, they do. There are still a few things I need to tweek here and there...my mind is totally involved in the story at this point, so even when I'm doing other things, Jake and Amber are speaking to me. (I love that!)

After the read through, I once again got out the e-mail I'd gotten from the editor asking for rewrites and some changes. One of the things I dearly love about The Wild Rose Press is their personal approach. Back when this particular editor asked for some revisions, it was in the form of a very extensive and detailed e-mail, highlighting what worked well in the story and what wasn't working so well and why. By now I've read the missive so many times you'd think I'd have it memorized, but I keep going back to it, to make sure I'm on the right track. These editors know their stuff...and any suggestions they make definitely fall into the category of valuable advice.

This week I'm working on finishing one final scene and then going back and checking a few parts that still might be a little repetitive. My goal is to have the mss back to the editor before we leave for vacation on Thursday.

All in all, things are going swimmingly in my summer writing world! Best of all, with a plan in mind, I'm able to enjoy lots of other summer delights as well.

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

1 comment:

essayswriter.org said...

Nice interesting article! thanks fot the post!