Sunday, April 22, 2012

Take It or Leave It

So I've been doing some reading about midlife weight gain: why it happens, what to do about it, etc. The reading has actually been very interesting. Of course, each book gives different advice based on the 'expertise' of the author. Some of the ideas were really great and I've already started adding them to my lifestyle. Such as eating smaller meals more times a day instead of large ones less often. Not skipping breakfast. Changing the kind of exercise I do. Sometimes the authors disagreed or had opposite opinions. One said exercise was best in the morning. (No way I can do that with my work schedule.) Another said it didn't matter what time of day you exercised, as long as you did it. (That I can handle.) One said to give in to those chocolate cravings. (Now that I can get on board with.) While another said to limit dessert intake to twice a week. (No way. I'm a dessert-a-holic. My mom always used to say the something sweet of dessert lets your tummy know its done eating. Now there's advice I like!) One said the amount of calories you take in matters. The other said dieting is the worst thing you can do to your body. I think ultimately what it comes down to is learning to 'listen' to your body and do what's right for it so you feel comfortable in your own skin. After all, it's your body and you have to live with it. Will I ever fit into a size four again? Probably not, but if I feel good about myself and have a healthy body, does the number on the waistband of my jeans really matter? And I'm not a twenty year old anymore. I'm in my forties. If the number says six or even eight, I think I can live with that. This got me to thinking as I was going over a mss last night. It was one I'd written years ago, redid, and sent to an editor friend, not as a submission, but to have another pair of eyes take a look at it before I pitch it next weekend. I really trust this editor. She's good at what she does. She contracted my first three books and I learned a lot from her. But as I was reading some of her suggestions, there were some things she commented on that I didn't agree with. Many of her suggestions are right on the money and work for the story. But, in the end, it's my story, and I have to do what I feel is right for it as the author. So, as with anything in life, people have a lot of opinions to offer. But advice is just that. You can either take it or leave it. Only you can decide what's best for you or your writing. Until next time, Happy Reading! Debra www.debrastjohnromance.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congrats on your progress and I expect it is a trance.
psychology dissertation structure