Thursday, April 26, 2012

Pitch Palooza While Daydreaming! by DL Larson

Spring is here and it's Spring Fling time again for the Chicago area romance/mystery writers. This Midwest conference for writers will be my third and I'm looking forward to it,if only ... 1. I had more time to prepare 2. Had the perfect pitch 3. Had the smooth style to catch an editor's attention 4. I could just say, "buy my book, you won't regret it!" 5. I didn't have to fight the traffic to get there I think you get the idea. In a perfect world it would all be so easy to promote my work; I would have no trouble writing the next book. It too would be a best seller and everyone, simply everyone would be happy! Unfortunately real life slapped me up side the head and said, "go pack! Time's a wasting. You don't have time to daydream!" So despite the fact I haven't had much time to prepare, I have been working towards a pitch of some sort. If anyone has seen me driving lately, they might think I've slipped another notch mentally. I've been practicing my pitch as I drive. I tend to wander in my delivery, thinking of something more important I should share with each run-through. Not what one would call productive, but I keep veering back to my "main theme." I realized something else too. Just like my sister, I move my arms when I talk. I'm sure I looked like a dork while driving, waving my hands about. I suppose stating to an editor to just purchase my book is a bit forward and not nearly as suave as one might think, so I will continue practicing my pitch as I fight Chicago traffic. Consider yourself forwarned ~ don't get too close to the lady in the red car waving her hands around and looking as if she's talking to someone in an empty car while racing down the expressway heading toward Second City! Til next time ~ DL Larson

3 comments:

Debra St. John said...

Deb, Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow and Saturday. I'm pitching as well. Tonight I'll be doing the 'talking to myself and hand waving' exercise!

Good luck to you!

Deb Larson said...

Looking forward to seeing you too!
Best of luck with your pitch. Be expressive - wave those arms!! :)
DL Larson

Morgan Mandel said...

Great to see you again in person, DL!

Morgan Mandel
http://morgansbooklinks.blogspot.com