Sunday, April 29, 2012

Spring Fling Recap



For the last two days I've been attending our Chapter's bi-annual Spring Fling Conference. Each year the committee seems to outdo themselves, and this year was no exception. I think this year's event was the best ever.


It was fablulous to mingle and meet fellow authors, agents, and editors. I got to hang with my fellow Wild Rose Press authors and the Acme Babes! I strengthened friendships forged at monthly chapter meetings as we had more time to sit, chat, and enjoy meals together.




The workshops provided a wealth of information, tools, strategies, and tips which I will attempt to assimilate over the coming days. My brain is still spinning.

I discovered Susan Elizabeth Phillips is just as funny and kind and generous in person as she appears on-line and from her books. There is something humbling about hearing a mult-published, award-winning, hall of fame author say she cannot write a synopsis. And to have her use the pronoun 'we' when she discusses the challenges, struggles, and truimphs of writing.

I pitched a mss to Megan Long of Harlequin Superromance, who was gracious enough to offer advice and suggest I 'drop her name' and send it along to the American Line, for which it seemed better suited.

On the downside, I had the bookseller order way too many of my books for the book signing and I can home with a loaded credit card and a box full of my own books. Oh well. What can you do?

All in all, I'd say it was a fabulous weekend, and the only bad part, is tomorrow I have to return to the 'real' world and can't bask in my author persona all day long.

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

3 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

Spring Fling Conference was all a conference should be! Great networking, great venue, great learning, great laughs!

Morgan Mandel
http://morgansbooklinks.blogspot.com

Debra St. John said...

Ditto, ditto, ditto!

Margot Justes said...

Ladies,
Ditto. I wish all conferences were as good, informative and well organized as Spring Fling was.
Susan Elizabeth Phillips, is a funny, gracious and elegant lady. Can't wait for the next one.
Margot
www.mjustes.com