Sunday, January 25, 2009

Time

Ah, time... contrary to popular belief, the more time I have, the less I seem to get done.

I know that sounds backwards and crazy and insane, but for me, it's true.

If I have a lot of time on my hands, I tend to get bored, lazy, and unmotivated. In the back of my mind I'll keeping thinking, "Oh, I don't have to do that now. I have plenty of time." And then of course, it never gets done.

I do better if my schedule is busy. Packed tight even. I guess then I'm forced to take a look at everything I need to accomplish and find a way to get it done.

When I look in my planner and see a week full of meetings, and practices, and appointments, and various other commitments, the first thing I do is groan and say, "Gosh, this is going to be a busy week." But by the end of the week, after I've crossed things off as I go, I have a fabulous sense of accomplishment. Then I can sit back and feel good about myself and what I did.

On a week that looks empty and stretches out with lots of free time on the horizon, inevitably I look back at the end of it and go, "So, what did I do with my time this week?" And I usually have nothing to show for it.

Strange, isn't it?

I'm having this sort of dilemma right now. I am in the process of revising (to the tune of adding 15,000 words) my manuscript for "Wild Wedding Weekend". It's coming along. But slowly. Oh so slowly.

Maybe I've had too much "free" time lately. (Is there such a thing?) But the good news is that looking at the week ahead, I have something going on every night of the week.

How much do you want to bet I get some quality writing done, too?!

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra

www.debrastjohnromance.com

7 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Definitely NOT strange! I find the same thing happens to me - a ton of things to accomplish in a day means I will be successful, but a day with very little on the agenda always translates to wasted time...

I've heard this phrses before - "Busy & productive people get stuff done!"

L. Diane Wolfe
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net

Gayle Carline said...

I think it's a physical law: If you have all day to do something, it will take you all day to do it.

gaylecarline.blogspot.com

Debra St. John said...

Thanks, Ladies! I'm glad I'm not the only one out there!

Morgan Mandel said...

I'm the same way at work. If I don't have much, I'm not motivated.

I'm trying to get 1000 words done this weekend. I better get back to my novel.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Morgan Mandel said...

I'm the same way at work. If I don't have much, I'm not motivated.

I'm trying to get 1000 words done this weekend. I better get back to my novel.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Christina Phillips said...

My tag is up, Debra!!

Anonymous said...

When I was in college, I took a full load, and I worked a job, and I was married....so time was always of the essence, and one final term, all I had to do was take three classes! I had so much more time on my hands, and guess what? I just about blew it, almost failed that final term because I had too damn much time on my hands. I lounged away more time than in the previous whole year. Didn't help that the university was on the shores of the lovely Lake Michigan (NU).
Time, either you control it, or it will control you. It is, along with how to do research, the number one lesson I got from going to college - time management. It's part of discipline for a writer, scheduling and sticking to a clock when on a project.

Rob Walker
just finished a 160,000 word opus thanks to my self-determination and control of my time.