Friday, January 2, 2009

A New Year! by DL Larson

Remember when we all thought the turn of the century would bring disaster? And now we're closing in on the first decade. My resolutions remain pretty much the same as last year, wishing good health for family and friends, fulfilling careers and enough struggle to make it all seem worthwhile.

I remember someone mentioning the struggles put before us are meant to be incentives, not deterrents. Many are disguised so well they become scary and knee-bending. But once conquered, no matter how it was accomplished, we all have the opportunity to look back and say "Wow! I did it! Holy cow, I did it!!!" That's how I felt when my first book was published. I'd been waiting more than a few decades. The mountain before me seemed higher than Mt. Everest, but I managed to get through every obstacle to reach the finish line ~ my completed and published novel. The euphoria still lingers in my mind.

There's another saying I'd like to share with you, it goes like this:
"At first a goal seems impossible, then improbable. And finally, inevitable!"

So if you're feeling discouraged, and everyone does at one time or another, then think about what stage you might be in. Does your task feel impossible? Improbable? Keep working, writing every day, and I mean working hard. The inevitable will happen.

And guess what? Then you'll find yourself back at the beginning, a chance to do it all again, but with a bit more experience to fortify you when the improbable bug eats away at your confidence.

I'm a firm believer in setting goals, I'd never get anything accomplished if I didn't. But I also try to be realistic. I set high goals, lofty even, but I set smaller goals along the way that boost me up, keep me moving in the right direction and it's a way I can encourage myself to keep striving to finish what I started. So with this new year 2009 stretched out before me, I want to accomplish several things:

~ find a literary agent
~ get my third historical published
~ work on my sci-fi romance
~ edit my fourth historical that's already written!
~ attend two writing conferences
~ circulate - do more book signings, panel discussions, etc.
~ get bold with blogs! Reach out is my mission!!
~ Enjoy this journey!!!!!
~ Find time to relax


Whatever your goals might be, take a few moments to commit them to paper, tell the world as I just did. Scary, you bet! But sometimes we have to announce our intentions in order to make them real. Take a deep breath, and ... begin! Tell me what your plans are for 2009. I'd love to hear about your career strategies and how you intend to attain them.

Good luck! And Happy New Year to all!

Til next time ~

DL Larson

2 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

I never make resolutions, just wishes.

I wish I could lose weight. I wish I could finish my work in progress.

If these wishes come true, I'll be very happy.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
http://www.morganmandel.com

Deb Larson said...

I like the word Goal, best. It feels like a positive step. But no matter what one calls it, life is more enjoyable when we reach those little mile markers!
Thanks for sharing.
DL Larson