Saturday, October 11, 2008

The End



I’ve often heard writers say that those are their two favorite words. Why? Because that means the story, the thing that may have had them in tears or caused them to pull out their hair, was finished.

For me, it means I am moving on. Starting a new idea. Taming the wild frontier…er, never mind that one.

So I finished my YA short story. I’m happy with it. I’m moving on. Or back in this case, to finish the book I started and had to put on hold to write the short story. And of course I feel so empowered. Hey, I just finished writing a short story. If I were a bird I’d be strutting around like a peacock! Okay, maybe not. But still, it’s pretty darn cool if I do say so myself. And this whole “I’ve finished” rush will last, oh about sixty more seconds, cause that’s when I will realize I have another entire story to tell and that one starts with what have become MY two favorite words lately---Chapter One.

Thanks for reading—until next time,

June

http://www.junesproat.com/

9 comments:

Marilyn Brant said...

Congrats on finishing, June, and good luck with the next book :).

Morgan Mandel said...

It's a vicious cycle, isn't it?
Kind of like when you're reading a good book and you want to keep reading it. When you finish it, you feel lost until you find another good book to read.

Morgan Mandel
www.morganmandel.com
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Pam Ripling said...

Hi June,

Coming in late here, but what is the YA story for? Do tell!

~Anne
www.BeaconStreetBooks.com

Nancy J. Parra said...

Congrats, June.

I'm with you- I love to write Chapter One... :)

Please do tell us what your short story is about.

Norm Cowie said...

That's what I keep forgetting to add add at the end of my books...

Debra St. John said...

Good luck with your short story, June. I know you'll have many more "Chapter One"s to come!

June said...

The short story is for an anthology for The Wild Rose Press. I don't have a contract yet, but they asked all their YA authors to submit an idea, which I did and they liked it. So, now that I have the whole thing, I'll find out if they actually want it. It's a teen summer love story.

Keep watching my website, and if I get a contract...everyone will hear about it!!

Thanks
June

www.junesproat.com

Audrey said...

I am an 81 year old blogger. Please take a look at my site on memoirs of my life: http://audreykaminski.blogspot.com/

I grew up in Baltimore with many happy memories. My old neighborhood in west Baltimore is too dangerous to walk through. There was a time when I thought I would never leave the city because of all it’s convenience. If you didn’t have a car you could ride a street car. Going down town was always a great pleasure. There were large Department stores, theaters and museums. Where I lived you could walk to the zoo, movie theater and a roller rink.

Audrey

Margot Justes said...

Congratulations on 'the end' - wish I could say the same. I'm in the stuck 'no end in sight' mode.
Margot