Sunday, October 19, 2008

Back in the Saddle

...or should I say back at the keyboard.

I had a great day yesterday! Want to know why?

I actually did some writing. Real writing. Not a blog, not a promo, not e-mails (although I did those, too!) I was finally able to make some progress with the manuscript I'm working on. Believe me, it was no mean feat. I've been going through a frustrating, pull-my-hair-out, dry spell for months now.

Finally yesterday, something clicked and I was able to get pages of work done. That's right. Pages. Not just some words, but actual pages that move the story forward.

You'd be proud of me. My husband and I went out with a group of friends for dinner last night. I opted out of the "after party" at a friend's house to come home and write. I even gave up some of my precious reading time to write. Easier said than done as I'm in the middle of a fabulously addictive series that I literally can't put down.

And even better than getting that satisfying hour and a half at my computer, I now know how to get my story where it needs to go. The ideas are spinning and things are starting to come together.

See, I always have a general idea of where I want my story to go. Then I "simply" need to figure out how to get it there. Over the last few months, that hasn't been working for me. The story wasn't getting anywhere fast. I knew if I was patient and waited it out, something would click, and away I'd go.

I'm going all right. Trouble now is finding the time to get all of this down on paper. As usual, it's a busy Sunday. (What ever happened to that day of rest from long ago?) Bt as long as the thoughts and ideas keep spinning, I know I'll find time to get them down. Whether it's at my computer or scrawled on notebook paper, those words will flow.

And I couldn't be more excited.

So, now I need to sign off so I can put my pencil to paper, or my fingers to the keyboard in this case, and keep my flow going. Now that the gates have finally opened, I don't want to impede them in any way!

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra

www.debrastjohnromance.com

3 comments:

June said...

Good for you, Debra! I love when the idea comes and the words just flow to the page. But I have to know...did you get a hand cramp???

:)
June

www.junesproat.com

Debra St. John said...

No hand cramps yet, but I'm hoping! (That will mean that I've accomplished a lot!)

Morgan Mandel said...

I'm so jealous of you. I need to work on my books, but I can't think because of this silly cold.

Morgan Mandel
www.morganmandel.com
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com