Wednesday, July 30, 2008

CELL PHONES, E-MAIL, TEXTING, LAND LINES - HOW DO YOU COMMUNICATE?

I do lots of walking to and from my day job in Downtown Chicago. I can't help but notice that at least 3 out of 10 people, if not more, are chatting on cell phones, even as they are crossing the street.

Something else I've noticed, which is a dangerous habit, more and more people are using cell phones while driving.

These people on the cell phones for so long--Whatever do they find to talk about?

I love my Iphone, which serves multiple purposes, since it has so many cool features. As far as the phone part of it goes, it's a blessing for long-distance calls, placing carryout orders from the train, getting phone calls from my husband while I'm at work, but not for much else. As far as my land line goes, I rarely use it, more to answer calls than make them, and that's not often.

I've come to the conclusion that I just don't want to make phone calls any more. E-mailing is my major form of communication. I spend countless hours on the computer e-mailing friends, mentioning things I forgot to say when I last saw them, firming up plans. We rarely pick up the telephone and call each other.

Strange, but I've lost the art of communicating for any length of time on a cell phone or land line. I even find it irritating. When forced to do so, I have to think hard to find topics to speak about.

I spend countless hours on social networks, yahoo groups and listservs speaking to people through the Internet without using my voice. I reveal more of myself when I'm online than I would over think of over the phone wires or even in person.

Some people say texting is faster. I don't know. I have 200 units a month I could use, but never do, since e-mailing is my chosen form of communication. When I'm out of range or a storm hits and my modem or Iphone can't pick up my e-mail, I feel lost and vulnerable, wondering if I've missed something important.


E-mail is much more civilized. It doesn't interrupt people when they're doing something and make them wonder whether or not to stop the ringing or let it go to voice mail. I can e-mail any time I want to and my recipient will choose when to open it or not feel pressured to answer right away. Okay, there is one drawback. If I don't answer e-mails, they do tend to pile up like answering machine messages.

Anyway, I wonder if other people are like me and have lost the art of telephone communicating. I'm so curious, I've placed a survey in the righthand column under Debra St. John's new release, This Time For Always, which just came out today in e-book form at The Wild Rose Press.

If you have two seconds, click your answer to the question

What is your favorite form of communication?

Thanks,
Morgan Mandel
www.morganmandel.com
http://blogsthatrule.blogspot.com
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Debra St. John said...

I am definitely an e-mail gal!