Hopefully as you read this, depending on the time of day, I'll be either on a plane heading down to Miami or on board a cruise ship heading out to sea.
The hopefully part comes in because we're expected to get, of all things for this first weekend of Spring, a snow storm here in the Midwest. Since hearing the weather report on Wednesday, I've been in a bit of a panic. We're on a fairly tight schedule to get from the Miami International Airport to the Port of Miami in the first place. For a while now I've been a bit nervous about a delay on our flight. (It never dawned on me to schedule one for the day before and stay overnight in Miami...next time I'll know.) With the bad weather coming it definitely slid from nervous to panic. Thus, there were tears, frantic phone calls and Internet searches trying to find a flight out on Saturday, an Amtrack route, or a rental car, and pleadings for prayers from friends for some peace and calm.
In the end, there was no way we could pay the exorbitant fees involved in changing flights. Amtrack doesn't go directly to Miami. And rental cars one way cost a fortune, too. We were forced to stick with our original travel plans.
As of right now, (I'm writing this on Saturday.) it looks like we'll be okay with the flight. A friend mentioned the earlier we go the better as then we're not waiting for the plane to come in from another airport before taking off with us. We're scheduled to go at 9:00 a.m., which he said was good. I even checked the on-time averages for flights out of O'Hare at that time on Sundays and they were listed as 100% on time. The weather system looks like it will hit farther south and/or later in the day here.
So, I'm breathing a little easier, but will finally exhale all the way when I'm sitting on that plane and we've put wheels up around 9:15.
As for the Caribbean part, we couldn't be more thrilled. We honeymooned on a cruise fifteen years ago and are so excited to be going on another one now. We decided this is the first 'real' week-long vacation the two of us have had alone in, well, fifteen years. We are scheduled to hit the ports of Nassau, San Juan, and St. Thomas. We were scheduled for a stop in Grand Turk as well, but apparently there have been some issues with food causing possible sickness there, so the cruise line has decided to skip that port. Fine with me. I don't want to take even the slightest chance of getting sick on board.
I just want to soak up all the fun and sun I possibly can in a week! And who knows, my honeymoon cruise inspired the locations for Wild Wedding Weekend. Maybe this one will spark some new ideas...you never know.
Until next time,