Saturday, March 13, 2010

A Day At Sea by Margot Justes

Our days are still bleak, the dingy grey snow still has not totally melted, so I did the next best thing, I imagined myself back on vacation.

Surrounded by water on all sides, the giant ship glided along the waves, the water lapping steadily as we move forward. Mesmerizing. Relaxing. Blissful. All cares swept away.


The first day of the cruise was spent at sea. The early morning is best, before the multitudes wake, I have my first cup of coffee and look at the ocean. There is nothing better than the gentle breeze (sometimes not so gentle) and the smell of the ocean.

I satisfied my coffee itch, and went to the 12th deck to walk, not a bad way to begin a morning.

Having built up an appetite, (not that I have to work hard to do that) a leisurely breakfast seemed like a good idea, and of course I needed more coffee.


The delightful part of being at sea, is that you can do as much or as little as you want. There are plenty of planned activities, from belly dancing, belly flops and I'm sure other belly things, there is ballroom dancing, and...you get the drift. But I brought books to read and a pad to write on.

The staff always on hand to bring fresh coffee, milk, whatever you need; they are continuously working. By the end of the first day, the steward knew my name and not because I was an author, (unknown) but because it is part of the training to make each guest feel at home and welcome. You know what, it worked.


Even the elevators had a plaque on the floor marking each day, a sweet reminder I'm on vacation.

Till next time,
Margot Justes
www.mjustes.com
A Hotel in Paris

4 comments:

June said...

Margot,
Sounds wonderful and very relaxing.

June

Anonymous said...

May your snow soon melt and your skies brighten so you can start enjoying that at home!

Margot Justes said...

June,
It was soooo relaxing...
Margot

Karin,
I do think we're on the way. I can't wait to get up in the morning, grab a cup of coffee and sit outside for a few minutes.
Margot
www.mjustes.com

Morgan Mandel said...

It's not often I have to work at building up an appetite either. I usually have to remind myself to stop eating.

Anyway, I'm looking at the bright side. The weather is getting better, though it sometimes looks gloomy out. At least now I can walk on the sidewalk without fear of slipping on snow or ice. A definite improvement.