- Register for the conference - try to get on one or more of the panels and to be included in one or more book signings. You still have time if you want to go to Love is Murder.
- If you have food allergies or preferences, arrange for substitutes
- Finish your book
- Scope out the editors and agents and learn their preferences
- If you haven't already, start and maintain a presence on the web - website, blog, listservs, social marketing networks
- Check your wardrobe for suitable clothing that will reflect the image you wish to project. If necessary, save up and purchase new outfits
- Publicize the event and the fact that you'll be there
- Make plane, train or bus reservations if necessary
- Get directions ahead of time
- Make hotel reservations if you're staying overnight
- Get a copy of the schedule beforehand, if you can, so you can pick your panels and events
- Get to the conference early to get the lay of the land
- Network and make friends
- Pitch to the editors and agents
- Learn a few things and have lots of fun!
I'm not ready yet. I still have some items to finish on the checklist, so I better get cracking. What about you? How do you prepare for a conference? Have I missed anything? Anyone else coming to Love is Murder?
For more Morgan, check out my daily blog at http://morganmandel.blogspot.com - today's topic is Preditors and Editors Poll Results