Sunday, August 17, 2008

Going for the Gold

Unless you've been living under a rock this past week you've probably heard about Michael Phelps and his history-making drive for gold medals at the Olympics this year. I've been right on the bandwagon, even scheduling social events around his swimming times so I'd be sure not to miss a thing. I watched every one of his races this past week and saw history being made. I am in awe. Even if you're not a swimmer, you can't help but be amazed by his drive, determination, and vision.

This kid (and I can say that because I'm nearly old enough to be his mother...well, actually old enough if you throw in teen pregnancy) is amazing to watch. He's fun, he's hip, he's down-to-earth, he's modest, and you can't help but get caught up in the love and support his family exudes at each race. You feel like you're right there with him as the medal is slipped over his head, the Stars and Stripes flies overhead, and The Star Spangled Banner echoes throughout the Cube.

Now, there are many things in life I will accomplish some day, but winning one gold medal, let alone eight, is something I'll never do. But his example is a good one. Before he reached his goal, he had to set one. He decided what he wanted to accomplish, and he went for it. He did whatever it took to make it. A lesson we can all take to heart.

This week THIS TIME FOR ALWAYS was at the number one spot on two bestseller lists at The Wild Rose Press. And last week I had one of those "MasterCard moments". It went like this:
Wild Rose Press T-shirt - Twenty Dollars
Promotional Bookmarks - One Hundered Fifty Dollars
Having someone at the Farmer's Market ask me about my shirt, pulling out a bookmark to hand to them and saying, "Oh, this is my publisher. Here, this is the book I wrote." - Priceless
Those were my golden moments. For this week. My goal is to have more and more of them. (Maybe even more than eight!)

So dream big and go for the gold. Set those goals and work toward them. No matter what it takes. And take these words of wisdom from Michael Phelps, the greatest Olympian of all time, to heart.

“When you put your mind to a certain thing, it can happen. The biggest thing is nothing is impossible. All it takes is an imagination.” (MP)

That, my friends, says it all.


Until next week,

Happy Reading!

Debra

THIS TIME FOR ALWAYS
Champagne Rose and Champagne Rosebud #1 Bestseller
by Debra St. John

ebook available now from The Wild Rose Press
Print version coming August 29, 2008

www.debrastjohnromance.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Debra, you nailed it. Just as if you were a gymnast and "stuck it," or your fingertip hit the touchpad first. Goals--I don't think we emphasize them enough. I taught high school students (biology) in a private military boarding school (co-ed,) with a good athletic program. The boys were in the corps and wore uniforms to school. The commandant, Col.Rogers,insisted on written goals at the first of the school year,after a lesson on "how to set your goals." The coaches did the same thing, and these written goals were filed away until such time accomplishments could be compared to the goals. I'm telling you, it made men out of many directionless, non-successful (we did not use the term loser or failure)boys. So, yes, we as writers should definitely set goals. See how you helped me today? I write "things to do" on scratch pads, and often forget to have an exact list. I will being my retraining program today. Celia Yeary

Morgan Mandel said...

Not a lot of authors make big bucks, but we do have our rewards which can be just as satisfying.

Half the fun of it all is going for the gold!

Morgan Mandel
www.morganmandel.com
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com