Thursday, July 5, 2007

Happy Birthday America!

As we rally around the barbeque pits and picnic tables during this holiday week, I hope you enjoy your time with family and friends. More importantly I hope you relish in your freedom. (sorry for the pun)

Last night my family and I went to the fireworks in a neighboring town. We found a wedge of grass and spread our blankets down, and then promptly sent my daughter for lemon shake-ups. Lemon shake-ups make everything better. They are the festival drink of the midwest, water, sugar and you guessed it - fresh lemons with plenty of crushed ice. A culinary delight on a hot night.

The sky finally darkened enough for the fireworks to begin and as we sat there oohing at the sparkling display in the black sky, sipping on our lemon shake-ups, my heart caught for a moment. I glanced at the thousand or so people and wondered if anyone else was thinking what I was thinking. Fireworks are a replica of combat explosion. The bombardment of sound represents the cannon fire used to push back tyranny. Everyone watching the fireworks display was in fact witnessing a battle already won. And -- and caught in the tangle of oppression we are still battling against.

There are so many countries envious of our easy way of life, or our cavalier attitude toward freedom. They say we take such liberties for granted. But I believe differently. I believe the folks of this country are eager to stand up for freedom. I haven't met a person yet who isn't proud of our soldiers for protecting our nation and striving to bring peace and dignity back to those who need it.

We live in a country where we can agree to disagree! This country is riddled with problems, yes, but as Americans, these problems give us the opportunity to stand up and say what is wrong. We can join together to tackle a problem, we have that liberty. We the people have that right! We the people have set many wrongs right in the last two hundred plus years. I have the utmost confidence that we will continue to do so for the generations to come.

Happy Birthday America!


Til next time ~

DL Larson

No comments: