Sunday, July 1, 2007

A day in the life...by Margot Justes

It is Sunday and I am doing my Saturday blog...Not my fault, really it’s not. We are trying to join the 21st Century, but alas that is not to be done…easily that is.

Our e-mail access has been through a dial up process, and that was fine in the past, not too many e-mails, easily enough done. Don’t laugh, we have no cable, no Comcast, nothing, just a plain old fashioned antenna that allows us access to the basic channels. We like it like that.

But with the advent of A Hotel in Paris being published, things have changed drastically and rapidly. I have too many e-mails, too many things that need to be done via e-mail to waste my time, since I no longer have too much of that precious commodity at my disposal. So, we are trying to join the masses and go with DSL.

I bet you thought it was going to be simple, just listen to AT&T, wait for the box to arrive, plug it in, run the program and you should be good to go. Wrong. Wrong. And wrong.

We spent time on the phone with our new vendor, we have been told, it is your machine, not our problem, nothing is wrong with our system. So we lugged our computer next door plugged it into their Comcast machination, and lo and behold, it worked.

Now back to the proverbial drawing board, back to the AT&T tech support, trying to figure out what is going on. We do not yet have an answer, what I do have is a temporary fix, lines running across the floor in my office, a wonderful new toy for the cat, no access to my new e-mail but a lifeline to my old one, assuming I can handle all the meowing, since kitty now is locked out so the lines won’t get chewed up. And so it goes…

Till next Saturday,
Margot Justes
A Hotel in Paris
Echelon Press, June 2008
www.mjustes.com

No comments: