Saturday, July 21, 2007

Sisters in Crime and Centuries & Sleuths by Margot Justes

We had our Sisters in Crime meeting today at Centuries & Sleuths in Forest Park. Our guest speaker was August Paul Aleksy, Jr. also known as Augie to the rest of the world and proud owner of said bookstore. Believe me, he is well known, his bookstore was chosen as one of the ten best bookstores in the Chicagoland area, and rightfully so.

He is a great story teller, but today he spoke about his responsibility as a bookseller to his readers. He discussed customer service, an endeavor in which he excels, if you ask him a question, he doesn’t just point you in the direction, he actually goes and gets the book for you and along the way a few others he thinks you may like.

He not only sells books, he lives them, which brings me to my point; I actually had one, other than the one to praise Augie for his incredible support of Sisters in Crime and the general reading public.

I strayed from my point again, at any rate Saturday November 3rd at 8:00 p.m. there will be a Meeting of the Minds (ala Steve Allen) with Moderator John Rice and guests Bram Stoker, Ellen Tracy, Oscar Wilde, George Bernard Shaw and G.K. Chesterton. If you are too young or have never heard of the program, let me know and I’ll be happy to explain it you.

Tickets for this extravaganza are $10.00 each, if anyone is interested, please let me know. This exciting evening will be held at Centuries & Sleuths, and it is one of the many programs you can find in his establishment.

Till next Saturday,
Margot Justes
A Hotel in Paris
Echelon Press, LLC June 2008
www.mjustes.com

No comments: