Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Writing Space and Time

So, I'm working on revamping the area in my home where I write. My goal is to bring the level of distraction down in this space so I can think and write more robustly.

Like most writers, I have lots and lots of books: Non-fiction including how-to's but, also, many works of fiction. I'm lining one wall with bookcases and it's looking great.

I love to read.

I'm taking a more Zen approach with my setup but not a completely meditative approach since I still need to be awake when I write.

I'm on the search for one of those chaise lounges (like the ones in the movie shown in a psychiatrist's office). Ikea has one - now I'll have to go to their store and look at it, sit on it, and rub my hand over the fabric. That might take me the better part of a weekend day. If it's too comfortable I might back off on the idea, but we'll see. I do need a place to help me get in the zone when I get stuck.

I have a small television in my area right now and I'm trying to talk myself into taking it out. But how would I get the news! I am often inspired with ideas just from watching the news. Maybe I'll just have to settle with reading it online. Of course, I can spend hours reading and researching online.

Ah, the challenges of getting it just write!

4 comments:

David DeLee said...

Good luck with creating your writing space, Terri. Let me warn you about your chair search, be careful. I have a seperate office and a very comfortable easy chair. Too comfortable. When I use it to work or read in, I almost alway end up falling asleep. So I end up basically not using it.
It is nice to have a dedicated space to keep all your stuff in. Good luck with the remodel.
David DeLee
Fatal Destiny - a Grace deHaviland novel

Morgan Mandel said...

I put my writing desk right in the dining room. We don't use the dining room for much anyway, except breakfast, and there's still room at that table to eat. I like being near the action, with the living room to one side. If I want to, I can turn the TV or radio on and listen as I write, or I can keep it silent. I don't mind background sound as long as it's not too loud.

Morgan Mandel
http://spunkyseniors.blogspot.com

Deb Larson said...

My office always ends up in a big mess. I already have a wall dedicated for books - spilling out on several shelves, my table is stacked with stuff, as is my file cabinets and my computer desk. EEK! My goal is to shovel my way to freedom - soon!
DL Larson

Anonymous said...

My tv blew up in 2005 and I don't miss it. Cable/sat channels are full of crap anyway and for info a book still beats the soapy froth pretending to be a doco. Your ideas will come whatever you do. When the brain's onto something it'll let ya know. Have fun