Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Best Laid Plans

So last week was going to be one of those perfect summer weeks. My hubby and I were heading off on a long weekend vacation with our parents. It's something we do every year. We look forward to it all year long. A fun time away spent exploring the sights and secrets of a small town. Then, we had tickets to Ravinia (the outdoor concert venue here in Chicagoland) for a symphony show. I looked forward to a picnic on the lawn, complete with wine, beer bread, and assorted fruits. Plus time under the stars with my wonderful hubby. Finally, friends and I had tickets for the latest (and last) Harry Potter film for opening night. An event over ten years in the making.

Ah, yes, it was going to be a wonderful week.

But alas, all that changed when I wound up in the hospital having surgery instead. Now I face recovery, which is going well, but definitely not the way I planned to spend my summer.

So, what do I take away from all of this (besides a clean bill of health when all is said and done eventually)? A tie in to writing, of course.

All of the changing and rearranging these past couple of weeks reminded me that my characters go through many ups and downs before they find their happily ever after. In fact, readers expect a bumpy road instead of smooth sailing. If they got from point A to point B without any twists and turns and unexpected happenings, it wouldn't make for a very interesting read, would it?

Why should real life be any different?

So I will take heart and look toward the light at the end of the tunnel and my own happily ever after just a little bit farther down the road.

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

8 comments:

SBJones said...

Try fail scenarios are fun to put characters through. Even better when they fail a few times, then succeed only to fail miserably again right after.

Recover quickly.

Debra St. John said...

Thanks SB, the road to recovery is stretching ahead...

I must say, it's easier dealing with fictional character trials than real life ones!

June said...

Here is wishing a speedy recovery!

Hang in there Debra, it will get easier!

Best,
June

Debra St. John said...

Thanks for checking in, June.

I'm counting on that getting easier part!

Morgan Mandel said...

Your trials will be something more to include in your books. Bits and pieces from my real life are snuck into mine.

Take Care, Deb, and feel better soon!

Morgan Mandel
http://www.morganmandel.com
http://spunkyseniors.blogspot.com

Debra St. John said...

It's atually kind of ironic, because literally the day I went into the hospital in the afternoon, I had been writing a scene that morning where my hero was in the hospital.

Deb Larson said...

Hope you are feeling better already. Ravinia will have more shows - it's a wonderful place to spend time with loved ones!
Speedy Recovery!!
DL Larson

Debra St. John said...

Thanks, Deb.

Friends and I have tickets for Carrie Underwood in September...I should be feeling fine by then!