Sunday, July 3, 2011

Wrapping it Up and Dragging it Out

Recently here at ACME we discussed word count in stories and did we write 'long' or 'short'. This has stuck in my mind because I am at the wrapping up part of my latest WIP. I have one chapter to go and my hero and heroine will live happily ever after. *blissful sigh*

Unfortunately, to make my word count, I have about 12,000 words to go. Depending on how you do the math, that's anywhere from 50 - 60 more pages. Way too long for a chapter or even two. *frustrated sigh*

So, now instead of wrapping up, I need to go back and drag the story out. Add scenes and chapters in the middle that can't just be fluff and filler, but need to move the story forward and enhance the plot. *double sigh*

I have a couple of little ideas swimming around in my head (*relieved sigh*) which will hopefully springboard into larger, meaningful, and relevant ideas with a lot of words! (Which as Morgan so aptly described, will need to be coaxed out kicking and screaming.)

How I do envy those of you who write long at times like this. *sigh*

Happy Fourth of July!

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I think all of have felt like that before. Good luck with the writing.

Debra St. John said...

Thanks Madison. The ideas will come I'm sure...I just need to be patient and let the muse flow through me!

Morgan Mandel said...

Don't feel bad, Debra. I'm about 2/3 done with my sequel to Forever Young, Blessing or Curse, which is going to be called Blessing or Curse, a Forever Young Anthology. Anyway, I need to squeeze out about 30,000 more words from somewhere in my brain.

First, I have my edits to go through from my editor on Forever Young, Blessing or Curse, which I should get started on, instead of visiting blogs. (g)

Morgan Mandel
http://spunkyseniors.blogspot.com

Debra St. John said...

Yep...visiting those blogs tends to use up some of the words my brain can come up with.

Good luck with edits and your sequel, Morgan!

David DeLee said...

Good luck wrapping it up. Debra. Sounds like just enough room for one final mini-disaster for your couple to overcome.

Happy 4th
David DeLee
Fatal Destiny - a Grace deHaviland novel

Debra St. John said...

Hi David,

Ooooh, a mini-disaster might work well. I'll have to keep that in mind!

Deb Larson said...

I'm sure you'll get the words on the page - dragging, shouting, whatever it takes!! Good luck ~
DL Larson