Sunday, July 31, 2011

Wish Me Luck

One of my goals for this summer was to finish my WIP (The third story in my series.) and submit it to my editor. Right now I am this close (picture me holding my thumb and forefinger about a centimeter apart) to finishing. I have about 2,500 words to go.

I decided to add a scene from the hero's POV as he rides a bull. For research last night I watched two hours of bull riding. (Okay, 'research' was just an excuse...I love to watch those cowboys!) I also printed a bull riding dictionary from the official PBR site.

So I'm ready to go. Cowboy up! Today's task will be to write that scene.

This week's task will be to do several reads of the mss. First I'll go through for content. (Even after the bull riding scene is added, I think I'm going to be short on words, so I'll need to add a few things here and there.) And I haven't actually read this story from start to finish yet, so I'm excited to see how it sounds/flows. Then I'll go through and eliminate all those pesky 'extra' words: that, -ly, watched, thought, felt, etc. Then I'll search for something else, etc. etc. And finally, I'll do another read through.

At last it'll be go time. I have my cover letter and synopsis all ready. With a few clicks of my keyboard and mouse, it will go soaring through cyber space to my new editor at Wild Rose.

And then I'll wait. Which is really the hard part in all of this.

So wish me luck!

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

5 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

Lots and Lots of luck, Debra!

I'm planning on resuming my editing of Forever Young-Blessing or Curse within the next half hour, after over a week of hiatus, due to the basement flooding.

I keep finding more stuff with lots of water inside of it!

Morgan Mandel
http://www.morganmandel.com
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Debra St. John said...

So sorry about all of the water damage by you. That is no fun to deal with.

Good luck with your edits!

June said...

Good Luck, Deb. I have every confidence you will be able to reach your word count and have a great story!

Best,
June

Debra St. John said...

Thanks, June!

SBJones said...

The goal is in sight. Keep at it.