Saturday, May 21, 2011

Travel by Margot Justes

The price of travel is relative, for me I'd give up a lot to travel, with the exception of coffee and dark chocolate. In that order.

That being said, don't automatically assume that going to Europe or taking a cruise is impossible. A twelve day cruise from Rome going to Greek and Turkish Islands and Israel is expensive. As I said it's relative, but it can be had for $800 plus gratuities and tax, that will run about $1,000 total per person. Remember that it includes all the food you could ever wish for and all your entertainment.

That price is for an inside cabin, but in reality how much time will you spend in your cabin? Not much.

I love the early morning twilight as you come into port, all the lights flickering a warm welcome. I'm on deck to greet the dawn, the coffee is set-up and waiting for me.

By the second day, the waiter already knows there is an early riser who likes skim milk with her coffee and it's there for me. The skim milk offsets the chocolate calories, at least in my mind. The only time you spend in the cabin is when you're sleeping or changing clothes, other than showering of course.

For me, the days at sea are spent, reading, swimming, writing, and walking; there are walking paths set-up on the top deck, so it's just you, the water, a gentle sometimes not so gentle breeze. I prefer quiet contemplation.

For those sea going travelers who want to be continuously entertained, there are dancing lessons, art sales, the full gamut to make sure you're not bored.

When booking a cruise, you make a deposit and the final payment is usually due 60 to 90 days before departure. Up to the time of the final payment, you should watch the prices and if you see your cruise is less expensive, get in touch with your travel agent or the cruise line and you get the applicable less expensive price. I check my cruise price twice a day, morning and evening-they change like air fares.

Have I convinced you yet that it's a possibility?

Next week, I'll cover the airfare.

Till next time.
Margot Justes
www.mjustes.com
A Hotel in Paris

4 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

Once you go on your cruise, we'll want a full report!

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
http://facebook.com/morgan.mandel

Deb Larson said...

I love cruises! We always ask our travel agent to keep an eye on upgrades for a discounted fee - we've lucked out the last few times and had balcanies off our rooms! It's pure heaven!!!! I don't know if I'll ever be able to go back to a regular cabin.
DL Larson

Deb Larson said...

oops - I mean balconies!!
DL

Margot Justes said...

Morgan,
This time my lap top is comng with-there will be reports.

Deb,
Our agent is watching for upgrades, we'll see what happens.

Margot