Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Goal Not Met ... by DL Larson

On May 20, 2010 I made a challenge: To complete my WIP, Renzo, The Reliant, by May 20, 2011.
My Reward if I succeeded: chocky dessert from whatever restaurant I chose, AND a boat ride with my hubby!

Well, I'm bummed I did not meet my challenge. I have not completed my WIP. I have worked diligently when I worked, but I didn't realize when I made this challenge how many changes were about to happen in my life. My son and his family moving in with us was a surprise and delight, but not in my plans, nor was my mother passing. Plus my daughter unexpectedly deciding to marry was a surprise, not to mention an emotional whirlwind. Mom mode took over more often than writer's mode this last year and that is fine ... real life should take presidence over writing time. I'm a bit disappointed I did not meet my own challenge, but I did make significant strides to reach my writing goal.

I've completed 21 chapters with approximately 43,000 words. I'm close to half way. All but six chapters are typed and roughly edited, so I wasn't completely lazy as a writer. My characters are at a good pace with goals for each in place, the plot is flowing and my mind is ever churning at the question, what next? I'm hoping when I do have writing time, the words will flow and more progress will be made.

I'm not ready to challenge myself again, chaos still reigns at my house. But I have a focus on where my time can be better spent and I have plans to redirect my schedule to make more time to write - no matter what!

My family has always come first before my writing and that will never change. For when is all said and done, the warm hugs of family are more precious than anything else in my life. After all, it is my family who has cheered me on every step of this writing journey.

Til next time ~

DL Larson

2 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

Reward yourself anyway. You deserve it! You're a person, not a writing machine.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
http://facebook.com/morgan.mandel

Deb Larson said...

Are you trying to spoil me? I like that kind of attitude!!
DL Larson