Saturday, June 2, 2007

How important is your cover by Margot Justes

Very important, that is the first thing anyone sees before the book is even picked up. Does it grab the reader, is it unique, are the colors, the text, the subject matter related to your story, can you as an author live with it.

Fortunately for me, my publisher worked with me, she listened but she was right all along. Karen came up with a great cover, so of course I had to immediately ask for changes. I loved the colors she had chosen, the whole concept was good, but I thought there should be an easel instead of a postcard, because, simply put, my female protagonist is an artist so she should be represented.

What I didn't think about was the whole book, it is set in Paris, the postcard reflects the Eiffel Tower, and all along the edge in script other famous places are mentioned. The way the tower is drawn, it looks like a work of art. She had it right form the beginning. I absolutely love my cover. I even have a smoking gun, well not really smoking, but in a very soft focus the barrel and butt are peeking around the postcard. It is awesome, romantic and mysterious.

I just had to share the exciting news with everyone. It now seems more real, and I can go and order my business cards, and all the other accoutrement that will be needed to get the book into the readers' hands.

Thank you Karen.

Till next Saturday,

Margot Justes
www.mjustes.com
A Hotel in Paris
Echelon Press, June 2008

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Margot, I am so glad you like...I mean love your cover. Quite honestly, the appreciation should go to Nat, our graphic artist. I just bable a few incoherant phrases at her, she deciphers my gibberish and does what I mean, not so much what I say.

You should show folks that lovely cover...in fact you should show everyone who doesn't run away...you could stat by making it your image on the Ning network :) so we don't see that shadow person.

Margot Justes said...

Karen,

I will post it everywhere I can by next week, it will be on my website, and I have already gone to Kinko's and have my poster boards.

See you saturday,

Margot

Deb Larson said...

Margot!
I'm so excited! Can't wait to see for myself. Book covers are tough to imagine ~ glad it's what you wanted it to be.
Yeah!!!!!
DL