Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Historic

Although this blog is going to show up in order - on Tuesday - I'm actually writing it on Friday. Tuesday was something else and I think we all can understand why I was distracted.

The word "Historic" has been thrown around quite a bit lately and it is an appropriate word for what this country and the world has been experiencing and witnessing lately. But the most historic, even uplifting part of Tuesday for me was how many people turned out to vote, especially young people. As a veteran, I was deeply touched by so many Americans who did everything they could to make sure they exercised their right to vote. To me, this effort is a fundamental aspect of a democracy, for without this type of energy, democracy itself is threatened.

Showcased on various news programs were a number of people who had to confront dibilitating odds of even getting to the polls, let alone casting their vote. One in particular stuck with me and I will never forget it. A ninety something year old woman who JUST became a United States Citizen and who has advanced Parkinson's disease came out to vote. An immigrant from South America, she did something that so many natural citizens of this country take for granted -- she exercised her right to vote and let her voice be heard. Ladies and Gentlemen, if she can come out to vote then there is no excuse for the rest of us not doing so now and in the future.

I don't ask people who they vote for, sometimes it's obvious, but what I do ask is if they actually voted. To me that's putting your money where your mouth is. For those of you who just don't bother to vote, then stop complaining. If you can't take the time to make an effort to propel change by voting, then stop wasting everyone's time by complaining.

I believe voting is each persons effort in being part of the solution and not part of the problem, but like many, many solutions -- especially the long-lasting ones -- they often take time to be effective. We have become a society of short-attention spans and impatience and one of the changes I'm hoping to see is a return to cooperative efforts to help us all move forward. After all, isn't that we tell our children to do?

To everyone who voted - regardless of how you voted - I say thank you. You've made this veteran very happy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I understand your enthusiasm (pardon the mistakes I'm an aweful speller) on voting. Voting does change our nation. What many people do not see sometimes is the fact that the people ranning for office do not fit the bill. I personally did not vote because I am underage but I saw the youth that did vote as their right but voted for the wrong reasons. Why should you vote if you don't know who you are actually voting for? This recent electoin is a great case to look at. The people of our beautiful nation looked at color instead of person. This was a big issue for me. I like to see the facts and judge my decision from that. Our president may history by being black and that was it( and for some the fact he could talk up a storm). Now was voting such a grand thing for our ignorant youth to do then? I saw sooo many young adults praising a man they could only describe as "the first african american president." That set my blazing. In my opinion he wasn't the best choice. McCain from my research wasn't the greatest but at least had experience and a head for politics. This is nothing against Obama as a person but as our president. If he wants to try again after some work as a man running a company and takes a few years in the military maybe it wouldn't be as bad but voting off of color is aweful. Voting is a glorious right in America and one I'm proud of but not all see the fact that voting is a right that needs to be respected too. That you for your comment and your comminment to our country. You have honor in your duty as our loyal Soldier of America.