Thursday, November 15, 2007

"Albuquerque Turkey!" by DL Larson

We've passed Halloween and the stores have emptied the orange from their shelves and replaced it with holiday selections. If only we could get Congress to move as swiftly and professionally as the retailers do ... but that discussion will likely never appear in this blog!

In my corner of the world, we are anticipating Thanksgiving and celebrating National Children's Book Week! (Nov. 12 - 18th) Our church preschool has four classes visiting this week, our Headstart will arrive next week, and our own preschool program we'll be making apple turkeys. In my chess class this week I encouraged kids to take out a book in honor of Children's Book Week, and you know what? It actually worked. Several kids pulled books off the shelves and checked them out!

But what does Albuquerque have to do with all of this? As a children's librarian I'm always looking for theme books, especially for the holidays and I stumbled upon one entitled "Albuquerque Turkey." If you write for children, I commend you! It is a difficult process, each word is important. Kids want images, action and emotion. They don't want to wait for it either. They won't wade through pretty prose, or explanations. If they are not immediately interested, the book (usually) ends up on the floor and they will search for something more exciting.

A Read-Aloud book is a librarian's dream come true. Reading a silly, or exciting book to kids and having them enthralled is just too grand for words. They are discovering through action words how wonderful the written story can be!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I need a few more explanation points!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love to get kids hooked on reading. So, back to searching for great books for kids ... "Albuquerque Turkey" is a read aloud - sing aloud adaption by B.G. Ford, through Sterling Publishing Co., Inc., New York. When you read this book, it should be sung to the tune of "Oh, My Darlin', Clementine."

So do your doe,ray, me-s to get your singing voice ready. 'Cause here is
ALBUQUERQUE TURKEY:

"Albuquerque is a turkey
And he's feathered
And he's fine,

And he wobbles
And he gobbles
And he's absolutely mine.

He's the best pet
That you can get,
Better than a dog or cat.

He's my Albuquerque Turkey
And I'm awfully proud of that.

Oh, he wobbles,
And he gobbles
And he follows me all day ...

To the market ...
To the grocer ...

Then back home -
He knows the way.

Wednesday morning
I was baking -

Apple pie,
And pumpkin, too.

When I started
Peeling onions,
Albuequrque cried,
"Boo-hoo!"

"You're not using those
for stuffing?!"

"No, my friend!
For something new!"

Oh, he wobbles
And he gobbles
And he follows me once more ...

To the store for eggs and spices -
Then back home
Just like before.

Now my Albuquerque Turkey
is all safely tucked in bed.
'Cause for our Thanksgiving dinner ...

We have Egg Foo Yong instead."


Now, go read to a kid and help celebrate National Children's Book Week!!

Til next time ~

DL Larson

PS: Mark Your Calendar: Nov. 29 - Schaumburg Barnes & Noble - visit DL Larson and Morgan Mandel, 7:00 - 8:30 p.m.

No comments: