Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Sunshine on a Cold Day

Rascal on a warmer day
Rascal and I went on our usual walk this morning. Believe me, it was cold when we started out. The ground was frozen, with snow and ice still clinging to bits of the grass. I knew we needed the exercise, but the effort felt more like a chore than anything else. Something to get over with, so I could get back into my nice, warm house. 

Then the sun came out!

The temperature remained the same, but everything looked brighter. Not only that, I could feel the warmth of the sun shining on my face and even on my legs under my slacks. It's effect was amazing, transforming a frigid day to a pleasant one. Whereas before, I could hardly wait to get home, the sun's warmth made me want to walk further and enjoy it more.

In a way, it reminded me of authors. We work hard in isolation to get our books finished, all the while wondering what readers will think of them. When our books are done, they're thrust out to walk on their own in the cold, cruel world. Will they have enough stamina to continue on, or be forced to retreat in defense from an onslaught of criticism?

Then, magically, a reader says a kind word, or posts a nice review, and everything changes! 

Such kind words are like sunshine to an author. They not only make the struggle worthwhile, but encourage us to carry on. They also give our books strength and longevity in the marketplace, making it possible for more readers to enjoy them.

Thanks to everyone who has spent the time to write a review for any of my books, or told me in person or writing that you liked it. Your thoughtfulness is much appreciated! 

Morgan Mandel

Morgan Mandel's current release is
Her Handyman, a romantic comedy,
Find Morgan's romances, mysteries & thrillers at
Follow On Twitter: @MorganMandel

21 comments:

Jean Joachim Books said...

Nice post!

Carlene Rae Dater said...

Boy can I relate, Morgan! It's been unusually cold but sunny on the Southern Oregon coast for the past two or three days. It was 40 degree when we left to walk our dogs in a local park at 9:00. There's a beautiful pond in the middle of the trees, with a path for walking. It was SO COLD, the ducks, coots and geese didn't go in the pond! Still I'd rather have this than rain!
Happy New Year

Lorna Collins - said...

I know just what you mean!

Michelle L. Devon said...

I tell people all the time that the best gift to give a writer is a review...it's better than seeing a sale, or anything else, to get a review. Because you know someone read you--and they cared enough to SAY something about it. Love reviews! Great post!

Love and stuff,
Michy

Marja said...

I had a little sunshine come into my life this morning, so I really understand what you're saying. Excellent post, and thank you!
Marja McGraw

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Morgan, I wouldn't have walked in the cold. Am not a winter person and get my exercise at the gym and playing tennis indoors! I know the sun felt good.

Thanks for sharing!
Monti
Mary Montague Sikes

Morgan Mandel said...

I believe it was something like 16 degrees here this morning. Carlene's 40 would have seemed warm to me!
No we're at 18 degrees at almost 1:30pm.

Glad you all can relate to both of what I mentioned.

Morgan Mandel
http://www.morganmandel.com

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I have been to Alaska. I could take the cold in the winter, but I would miss the sun.

Helen said...

Morgan, I am in awe of you. You went out to walk on such a cold day! I've been walking every morning and have discovered that I really like walking. I didn't go this morning, though. I did get some exercise, though, since my aunt is coming tomorrow so I've been cleaning house (including the toilets!).

Debra St. John said...

What a great analogy! A kind word or a positive review really can bring a ray of sunshine into an author's world.

Bob Sanchez said...

Good post, Morgan. Sunshine and kindness are both good for the author's--or anyone's--soul.

Morgan Mandel said...

True, kindness does not only apply to authors in need of it!

Morgan Mandel
http://www.morganmandel.com

Maryannwrites said...

It was unusually cold here in East Texas when I went for my walk this morning, too, Morgan. Still cold, and I have not received a new review to warm me up. (smile) So glad to see you got a good one.

WS Gager said...

Kudos to you Morgan for both the post and that you got out and walked. It is so hard to get myself going but once I do, I enjoy it a lot like what you mentioned. Reviewers also have a special place in my heart for sharing their thoughts. I really learned a lot from a negative comment on a review. It was really helpful and constructive.
Wendy
W.S. Gager on Writing

Maggie Toussaint said...

Hey Morgan,

I really got how you compared the warmth of sunshine to a kind word from a reader or peer. The difference is absolutely night and day.

You'd think we were all fully-formed and wholly confident, but this is a strange business. No matter how much you enjoy writing and how good you think your stories are, a few negative words can have you doubting everything.

I keep a file of "kind words." They really help when the mean girls come along, or some other micro-disaster.

Have a great 2013.

Maggie
http://mudpiesandmagnolias.blogspot.com

Morgan Mandel said...

I do keep clips from my reviews and share them on Twitter from time to time. They keep me going!

Morgan Mandel
http://www.morganmandel.com

Deb Larson said...

Happy New Year, Morgan! We went hiking on New Year's Day to Starved Rock Park. The sun made it absolutely wonderful. And I agree the reviews/notes/comments from folks are what keeps me going as a writer. I need to know someone understood and/or enjoyed my hard work.
DL Larson

Cheryl said...

This is so true. A good review can make up for a lot of gray, cloudy days.

Morgan Mandel said...

We are all in agreement on this one. Praise warms an author's heart!

Morgan Mandel
http://www.morganmandel.com

Dr Bob Rich said...

Morgan, you could send a little of that cold over. Here, we have 40 degrees Celsius (over 100 F) with strong gusty winds. Worst bushfire day since the bad one in 2009.
I did my walking after 10 pm when the temperature lowered to 24 C (75 F).
:)
Bob

Margot Justes said...

Morgan,
It's so true, and I absolutely agree. We write in solitude and then are thrust into the marketing whirlwind. A kind word from a reader goes a long way.
Margot
www.mjustes.com