Thursday, September 13, 2012

Are You A Song Writer?

When I'm listening to my favorite music, there's a part of me wondering if I could be a song writer. I enjoy the way the words are put together to tell a story. The repetition of the refrain or chorus sneak into my soul and long after the song has ended, I'm still thinking about it.


Alas, I know I am not a song writer. I don't have what it takes to succeed in this genre. I'm much too long winded and although I love music, putting words to music to form lyrics is not a talent I possess. But I appreciate those who can.

The capacity to put songs and plot together to form a play I find captivating. Going to plays is one of my favorite things. Musicals in particular draw me in and I usually go back for a second and third performance. A few that come to mind are Dirty Dancing, Wicked, Jersey Boys and now Million Dollar Quartet!

My husband and I had the opportunity to see Million Dollar Quartet last weekend. It's showing at the Apollo Theater in Chicago. The premise is an unplanned arrival of four singers at Sam Phillip's record studio called Sun Records in Memphis Tennessee. The year is 1956. If you are familiar with the history of Rock 'n roll, then you might recognize the singers who visited the studio that day. The not yet famous Jerry Lee Lewis starts the play banging on his piano and the audience is drawn into the small studio with Lewis' charm and wit. Soon comes Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash and finally Elvis Presley.

The story unfolds through the eyes of Sam Phillips and all the talent he discovered. I throughly enjoyed the play, the talent the characters had in emmulating the four stars and especially the music they played individually and together.

I may never be a songwriter, but listening to music will always be a part of my life. Going to plays and watching performances never grows old. If you're looking for inspiration or wanting an evening of fun, I recommend going to a musical.

Til next time ~


DL Larson

4 comments:

Debra St. John said...

I'm definitely not a song-writer, but I love music and often find inspiration for my writing in it.

Deb Larson said...

I do too! It's defintely the creative side of me that gets fired-up over music.
Thanks for stopping!
DL Larson

Morgan Mandel said...

Music is an important part of my life, and I absolutely love country music!

I could never be a songwriter, but confess that at times I think I could write greeting cards. The choices out there are pretty atrocious.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

душевая лейка с подсветкой said...

amazing!