Saturday, September 29, 2012

Apple Picking by Margot Justes


In the fall we always go apple picking, something I've done with my daughters since they were little, very little. The tradition continues now with my grandchildren. Fall is upon us and of course it's apple picking time.

We tried to go apple picking today, tried was the operative word, no apples to pick at this particular orchard in Woodstock, Illinois. All the apples packed in tiny little bags with huge price tags were kept in the cooler.
The top two or three apples in the tiny bags were nice enough, the bottom few not so much, they were bruised and soft. I do understand the drought, the lack of apples, and the necessity for the orchard to support itself, but I don't have to pay a premium for at best mediocre quality.

I chose to vote with my pocketbook and not buy any of their apples, instead I went to a fresh fruit market and bought the delicious honey crisp apples for a fraction of the cost and I still supported the local growers.
The day was fun, we were together and the drive down was gorgeous. Fall arrived early and the trees were in their glory-the colors were magnificent. We stopped at Papa G's, for a late lunch. A delightful diner in Huntley, where the food was good and my meatloaf (love meatloaf) delicious. I tend to judge diners on their meatloaf.

Cheers,
Margot Justes
A Hotel in Paris
Hearts & Daggers
Cool Crimes Hot Chicks
www.mjustes.com

5 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

Honey Crisp and Sweet Tango are my DH's favorites.

Morgan Mandel

Margot Justes said...

Morgan, will have to try Sweet Tango, do love Honey Crisp.
Margot
www.mjustes.com

Debra St. John said...

We usually go apple picking every fall, too, but opted out of it for the very reasons you listed: limited supply, high prices, and poor quality.

Glad you enjoyed your day, though! It's always fun to spend time with family!

Deb Larson said...

We too went to an apple farm last Sunday. This place is south of Malta - Jonamac Farms (sp?) They have all kinds of farm oriented things to do - play in the corn crib, crawl through the haystack maze, pumpkins and apples to pick, The apple picking was pricey and even though are apples did not produce this year either, we came home without any. Still had a great day. Don't you love grandkids!!!!!
DL Larson

Margot Justes said...

Deb,
We had a good time.
DL, I do love my munchkins. They arew coming over next weekend to help decorate and carve pumpkins.
Margot