Saturday, June 13, 2009

Printers Row by Margot Justes

Finally a week later, I can write legibly since my fingers have actually thawed from last Saturday. Okay, so I exaggerate-but it was cold, windy, and wet…and of course I was dressed for summer. Silly me.

Printers Row is exhausting, exhilarating and exciting. Many people stop by to say hello, browse and chat. Some even tell me they have a book in them-and I say-let it out.

Some others shy away from personal contact, but overall I found the attendees are readers, and more often than not will give a newbie a chance. I couldn’t ask for anything more.

While still others will stop by and say they don’t read-my response-really, and you’re at a literary festival?

The other comment I had heard a few times is ‘I don’t read fiction.’

To my way of thinking, it’s an incredible loss. Ideas, situations, plots, twists and turns, resolutions, the imagination necessary to create a work of fiction is never appreciated. A slant, a perspective on our ever changing society is never seen through the eyes of make believe for the non-fiction reader. The inspired descriptive process, the power of the creative word of fiction is completely obliterated.

In my humble opinion that is a tremendous loss, and very, very sad. Open the mind to exciting possibilities the world of fiction has to offer, a person might actually learn something.

Till next time,
Margot Justes
http://margotsmuse.blogspot.com
www.mjustes.com
A Hotel in Paris ISBN 978-1-59080-534-3
Art brought her to Paris, then a stranger’s death changes her life.
Missing ISBN 978-1-59080-611 1
available on amazon.com

5 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Guess I missed it - what and where is Printer's Row?

And I love the people who proudly declare they do not read, as if it's a badge of honor to be ignorant!

L. Diane Wolfe
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net

CA Verstraete said...

Gasp. What learn? (haa!) And not read? Then why visit a book fair???
Interesting, huh?

Margot Justes said...

L. Diane,
Printers Row is a terrific literary festival-the first weekend in June in Chicago between Dearborn & Polk streets.
I'm always amazed when I hear "I don't read."

Chris,
Both of us have heard the "I don't read" comment at the doggie do, remember?

Margot Justes
www.mjustes.com

Anonymous said...

Margot -- I get the same at book signings too and I want to shout, scream, pull someone else's hair out...and generally react! But to such a one as does not read or does not read fiction, there is no help under the conditions you are in be it behind the sales table at PR or B&N...as you are there to concentrate on the ones who do love to read and who do love fiction. I have wasted my breath too often on the others, including those readers who read ONLY ONE author and ONe autor alone. Such as Stephen King. To one I once shouted, "Put that book down!" I was going to go on to say..."and read mine instead!" But the lady gasped and RAN away straight down the mall causeway and never looked back as if I were accusing her of stealing! And perhaps that was on her mind, but it was a shocker! At any rate, I learned soon enough to concentrate on the ones whose eyes light up on hearing my introduction and seeing an author in the flesh!

Rob

Morgan Mandel said...

I wish I could have been at Printer's Row this year, but my vacation got switched. Instead I was doing a flea market in the North Woods, where it was also cold and windy.

I'm hoping next year to get to Printer's Row. It's a great venue.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
http://www.morganmandel.com