Sunday, June 21, 2009

Editing


It's been an exciting weekend so far. Mid-last week I got my pre-galley edit instructions for WILD WEDDING WEEKEND from my editor.

It's always a thrill to see an e-mail from her in my inbox, because, fortunately it's usually good news.

This time around was no exeption. Pre-galley edits means I'm one step closer to a release date.

So I've been editing since Wednesday. There are parts of editing that I love. It's always fun to see the manuscript in it's almost-ready-to-be-published format. I like going through and making sure everything is just so. It's at the stage where no major changes are required, so it's just being on the lookout for missing punctuation, spelling errors, etc. The first read-through was fun, because I haven't looked at this particular story in a while.

Of course, when I get to the second and third time around, it gets a little tedious. And it's frustrating when I find an error that I can't believe I missed the first and second times through. But of course, that's why I'm reading it (forwards, backwards, outloud, even pages, odd pages) so many times. To find every last one of those errors.

And, as I said, it's not really the time for major changes, so sometimes as I read through I tend to second-guess how I've worked something out plot-wise, knowing those types of things can't be changed now. So then I sigh and think, well, next time... (And, honestly, all in all, it really is a good story as it is!)

After I send the manuscript back next week, I'll be one step closer to being able to approve the final galley. And then I get my release date. So, since I know all of you are on the seat of your pants waiting, stay tuned!

Until then, Happy Reading!

Debra

www.debrastjohnromance.com

4 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

Yes, I can hardly wait to read WWW!

I know what you're going through. I just finished my line edits for Killer Career yesterday. I couldn't believe all the spots where I put two spaces after a period instead of one which is now the norm. Fortunately, my Editor has better eyes than I am and found them. That's why editors are so important.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
http://www.morganmandel.com

Margot Justes said...

You're lucky you find the errors-for me, after a while I see what I expect to see.
Margot
www.mjustes.com

June said...

Lord knows I hate editing! By the time I get to the final galleys, I'm ready to chuck the whole thing out the window! LOL

I have to say when this book comes out everyone HAS to get a copy. I was fortunate enough to get an advanced copy and let me tell you, you don't want to miss this book. It is just wonderful!

Best--
June

Debra St. John said...

Thanks for checking in, ladies. I agree with you Morgan, about how valuable editors are. Mine is fabulous. And, Margot, seeing what's supposed to be there happens to me all the time. June, thank you AGAIN for the blurb. I'm so lucky to be associated with you wonderful ladies!