Thursday, June 2, 2011

Stress Gets Heavy! by DL Larson

If you're feeling a bit overwhelmed with juggling all your commitments, consider the story below. I don't know the author, but I wanted to share it with you anyway.

A young woman walked around the room while leading a stress management class. She raised a glass of water and everyone figured she would ask the question, 'half full or half empty?' She fooled them and instead asked, "How heavy is this glass of water?"

Answers ranged from 8 ounces to 20 ounces.

She replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long I hold it. If I hold it for a minute, that's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my right arm. If I hold it for a day, you'll have to call an ambulance for me. In each case, it's the same weight, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes." She continued, "and that's the way it is with stress. If we carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later, as the burden becomes increasingly heavy, we won't be able to carry on."

"As with the glass of water, you have to put it down for awhile and rest before holding it again. When we're refreshed, we can carry on with the burden, holding stress longer and better each time practiced. So, as early in the evening as you can, put all your burdens down. Don't carry them through the evening and into the night. Pick them up tomorrow."

"Whatever burdens you're carrying now, let them go for the moment. Relax! Pick them up later after you've rested. Life is short. Enjoy some stress-free time."

So my thought for today is to relax a bit! Enjoy the beautiful weather with family and friends, this evening! I plan to dine with girlfriends tonight! I plan to leave my stress at home!

If your burdens are anything like mine, they will still be where you placed them when you retreave them! Hopefully, they won't be quite so heavy!

Til next time ~

DL Larson

3 comments:

EB Snyder said...

Nice blog. Thank you for sharing the woman's story. Great way of explaining to some of my non-writing friends why writing can get tedious even if you love it.

Bob Sanchez said...

Thanks. This applies to everything in life, doesn't it?

Deb Larson said...

I believe it applies to everyone in all aspects of life. It's okay to let go and RELAX for awhile.
Thanks for stopping by ~
DL Larson