Thursday, May 26, 2011

What Overtakes Your Dreams? by DL Larson

I have a small plaque on my desk at the library: "In Life, don't let the weeds overtake your dreams!" Nearly ever day someone reads the quote outloud and comments on the simple advice. Many times it's the adults who ponder on their future, sharing how they haven't had time to work on their goals or dreams. My usual response, "that's why I display the plaque! We should NEVER forget our dreams."

Every day happenings have a way of nudging our dreams right out of our thoughts, let alone off our "To Do" List. Staying focused is hard. But that doesn't mean we let the routine part of life choke our goals til they no longer thrive. We need to take a moment or two and decide what it is that overtakes our creative ambitions? And what can we do to accomplish our once shiny and sparkling dreams? How do we make them a priority?

So, after contemplating awhile, I'm taking my own advice; I'm restructuring my goals, creating time to read more, write more and make a real effort to keep the weeds from covering up my dreams. I'm striving for time management - a real challenge for me!

What helps you stick to your routine? Do you have a favorite inspirational saying? Perhaps most importantly, how do you avoid the pitfalls that suck away your writing time?

Take a moment to share with us.


Til next time ~

DL Larson

3 comments:

@Ruby_Barnes said...

Deb, it's a good discussion topic.
I've found an inexhaustible list of displacement activities to justify not writing.
At the beginning I was naiive and my writing was that of a beginner during the first two novels. Then, just as I started to hit my stride, I discovered peer group review both in groups and online.
The distractions went through various phases. I retrofitted a rational to each phase, delight accompanying my discovery that 'reviewing others' work was the best source of learning as a writer'. It took my mentor to drag me kicking and screaming from online review sites.
So then I needed another 'valid distraction' and got into building social network platforms as an author. Essential if I wanted to sell my ebook. At the moment I'm struggling to find the writing / social networking balance. Note not work / life balance. Taht'll come later!
Full story of my Compulsive Communication Syndrome on my blog http://rubybarnes.blogspot.com

Cheers
Ruby

Deb Larson said...

Ruby ~
finding the balance between networking vs. writing productive pages is a constant struggle. I've opted to get back to basics ... which means more writing and less internet time. We'll see what happens.
Thanks for sharing ~
DL Larson

Morgan Mandel said...

I'm easily distracted these days, so almost anything can sidetrack me.
Morgan Mandel