Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Goal by Morgan Mandel

Today I'm throwing out a few ideas about the first third of the important GMC in novels - Goal. (The other two are motivation and conflict, which we can explore later)

What your character's goals are tell the reader a lot about that character. Make sure you offer realistic and worthy goals, not only for the heroes and heroines, but also for the disreputable characters.

You can set short term, intermediate and long term goals for them, and even change the goals as occasions warrant.

My short term goal today was to get to work before another storm hit. I succeeded in that goal, by the way.

My intermediate goal is to make enough money to live off of.  I'm managing, but it's not easy, with all the taxes and insurance to pay, plus all the incidentals I want, but don't really need.

My long term goal is to quit work and retire. That one is a very worthy goal, but so far I can't achieve it. Though my 62nd birthday is fast approaching, social security won't cover my expenses.

Some other goals of mine - short term - finish my my nano book which I'd put off finishing from 1 1/2 years ago about the country singer. Intermediate goal - finish my other two WIPS also, the Boomer book and the one about my dog Rascal. Intermediate - get them published either by myself, through an agent and/or a publisher. Long term goal - Best Seller. That one I may never achieve, but I can't help trying. (g)

What about you? What are some of your goals? or your character's?

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com/
http://facebook.com/morgan.mandel

2 comments:

Terry Odell said...

Goals are great, as long as you know you have to break them down into measurable steps. Otherwise they're dreams--not to say dreams are bad, only different.

Character goals are great because as the author, we get to decide when and if they'll attain them...and what will happen if they do or don't.

Deb Larson said...

We all need goals - otherwise we would never be self-motivated enough to reach the point/place we dream about. I make small goals and call them deadlines. It helps in being productive and staying on task.