Monday, June 14, 2010

And so it begins....

Today is the first day for Summer School for some kids, including my daughter. She is less then thrilled, believe me. She has had oh, two weeks of staying up late, sleeping late, doing whatever she wanted and now BAM - it's high school.

Sometimes things just creep up on us, or they just surprise us. I find that happens to me a lot in my writing. I'm going along sweet as can be and then BAM, my character does something totally whacked and I sit there at the keyboard going WHAT? But that is not my plan! Why are you doing this to me???

So I try to force the story back to the way I want and then...the flow stops. I just can't make it work. And don't think I haven't tried. Yes, ma'am I try so hard and sometimes I make the story proceed, (I'm kinda stubborn that way) but then I read what I wrote and realize it is some of the worst writing ever! So I highlight and delete and start again only this time I let the story go the way the characters are driving it and an amazing thing happens. It works. Slowly the flow picks up and BAM, I'm back in the game again.

So, don't underestimate surprises, even if they are ones you know about that just kind of creep up on you, they just might be more of a surprise then you anticipate.

Have a great week!

June

www.junesproat.com

2 comments:

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

You are so on the mark. Sometimes the characters do know best. Just like mom!

Maribeth
Giggles and Guns

Morgan Mandel said...

Very true. You've got to go with the flow!

Morgan Mandel
http://facebook.com/morgan.mandel