Sunday, June 8, 2008

There is a Difference

Men and women are different. (A shocking new revelation, I know.)

I think about this today because my husband just bought a 1974 GTO. He is so excited! He's washed it, waxed it, detailed it, tinkered with the engine, and bought new mats and seat covers. He's like a little kid in a candy store, and over the past couple of days he's spent more time in the garage than in the house. He shows it off to everyone who walks, drives, bikes, or skates by. He constantly asks if I want to listen to the engine. I'm happy for him. Really. I'm excited that he's excited. But the car itself....doesn't do much for me. It's loud, old, and smells funny. (And my 2003 Sebring convertible is SO much prettier.)

As a romance writer, I use the differences between men and women to write my stories. Many romance books involve the basic premise of two people who are so very different that no one can figure out how they will ever work things out to be together, actually falling in love and living happily ever after. A really good writer can keep you wondering and eagerly turning pages until the very end. But in the end, you are guaranteed a happy ending. Love prevails no matter what the obstacles or differences.

Isn't it great that in life, as well as fiction, people who are different, who like different things or have different opinions about things, can come together and find much happiness and love in each other and in the world?

So celebrate those differences. They make the world go roumd. How boring life would be if we were all alike.

Until next time,

Debra


THIS TIME FOR ALWAYS
coming this summer from The Wild Rose Press
electronic release 7/30/08
print release 8/29/08

www.debrastjohnromance.com

No comments: