Monday, June 9, 2008

Signing in the Rain

I spent the weekend with Echelon Press Publishing's authors at Printers Row enduring several extreme examples of Chicago weather. First, there was the heat ... not so bad .. but mix it up with enough humidity to drown a muskrat and it gets sticky. So you try not to get too close to the author next to you or you might end up sticking together.

Fortunately for me, on the first day, I was signing next to some lovely authors (Camile Hyytinen, Jackie Sylvan, Margot Justes, publisher Karen Syed, Luisa Buehler, Shannon Greenland).

You don't mind getting stuck with these ladies.

For these same reasons, I kept my distance from my new hero Kevin Helmold (an especially focused salesman), and especially Tim Broderick, not to mention Sam Morton, Bob Goldsborough, George Kulles, and ... uh, I think I got them all. If I missed anyone, let me know.

The next day brought more muggy stuff and then the rains. Half of Lake Michigan detoured on top of us from the skies and we took refuge under trees, umbrellas and each other (yeah, there were some tall people there ... like Sam Morton).

And I'm not going to mention the tornado that missed my house by five miles while I was in Chicago.

Oh, wait. I just did ... heh.

Anyway, I also ran into a few of my fellow Mystery Writers of America authors including Michael Black, July Hyzy, Libby Hellmann, Joe Konrath and Mary ... er, Morgan Mandel. We had a great time together and sold a ton of books. I sold out of both my Adventures of Guy titles by the end of the second morning and spent the rest of the day hawking The Heat of the Moment anthology.

One of the cool things about the Heat of the Moment was whenever I sold one I would bring the buyer around to meet all of the authors who were on hand (seven, I think?). I think they all saw it as a special treat.

I had a blast and can't wait til next year's event!

Norm

www.normcowie.com
The Adventures of Guy ... written by a guy (probably)
The Next Adventures of Guy ... more wackiness
The Heat of the Moment

No comments: