Sunday, September 2, 2007

An interview with Silvia Foti by Margot Justes

An interview with Silvia Foti, author of The Diva's Fool. It is a delighful mixture of suspense, opera, Tarot cards and it is set in our own Chicago Lyric Opera House.

Tell me a bit about yourself?

I've been a journalist for twenty years, writing for trade magazines, Chicago newspapers, consumer magazines, websites. I've recently reincarnated to be a high school English teacher, a lifelong dream.

Your current book deals with Opera and Tarot cards, that is an unusual combination. How did that come about?

I love opera; my mother was an opera singer who played with Tarot cards. What I love about the cards is they offer a way to organize life intwenty-two steps. I crave knowing there is an intelligent design to life, that it's possible to reduce the chaos and complexity to twenty-two steps, and that by studying their archetypes and finding ways to apply their messages, one can become wiser and closer to spiritual enlightenment. As Iwrite this, I am laughing, for I'm not sure I truly take this seriously, but as I said, I love the idea of it.

What prompted you to write, and did you always want to be a writer?

My eighth grade teacher took me aside one afternoon and suggested I be awriter when I grow up. I took her words to heart. A teacher's words can be profound and affect you for the rest of your life. I've kept a diary since Iwas eight years old and had my first play performed live in fifth grade, and I've been hooked ever since.

What do you do to unwind and relax?

Read, watch movies, take walks, giggle with my kids.

What advice would you give to other writers just starting out?

Take as many classes as you can in creative writing, and try to write something everyday.

Thank you Silvia,

Margot

Margot Justes
A Hotel in Paris
Echelon Press LLC
www.mjustes.com

No comments: