Thursday, October 25, 2012

October's End! by DL Larson

By this time next week October will be gone and November will be here.  How did that happen?  This year is speeding faster than I can keep up!  Halloween is waiting, only a few days away.  Already many are celebrating this fun holiday.  This Friday our school has a special "Halloween Reading Night."  I've been asked to participate and I will, gladly.  I have a quick memory game to play using Halloween cards, a long list of holiday jokes and riddles and several age-appropriate books to read.  It should be a great evening, especially since my two youth librarians will be joining me.  We've decided to dress as gypsies.  We may even do some fortune-telling.

Next Wednesday I'll go trick-or-treating with my family.  Since we live in the country, we rarely have trick-or-treaters.  But that didn't stop me from buying a large bag of goodies. 

Quick after that comes Election time!  I encourage you to get out and vote.  Vote!  It's a right and a privilege.  There are folks in other countries who would love a chance to voice their opinion on how to run their country.  We may be facing many obstacles that seem larger than possible to fix, but we are a nation of people who can make things happen. 

The nasty campaign ads will soon stop.  Don't become discouraged by them.  Let them motivate you to search for some truths on your own.  If you watch one channel for news, explore another.  Read an article or two to brush up on what each candidate stands for, whether it be local or national.  Please take the time to be responsible, for it will take all of us to fight our way out of our economic quagmire.  Voting is a good place to start.  It means you have noted the mess we as a nation are in and want to be a part of getting back on track to the great America we all grew up in. 

I will not shirk my duty as an American citizen.  I will enjoy Halloween to its fullest!  And I will vote on November 6th!

May we all be stronger for doing our civic duty!

Til next time ~

DL Larson

2 comments:

Margot Justes said...

Deb,
I love this time of year, it's always filed with friends and family. This year fall has been spectacular.
Margot
www.mjustes.com

Deb Larson said...

It has indeed! We are blessed!
Thanks for stopping by ~
DL