Sunday, August 19, 2012

Remembering...

Yesterday I accomplished one final goal for the summer. And it didn't have anything to do with writing.

I got a tattoo. I never thought I'd be one of those people who wanted one, but the desire hit me a few months ago, and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. I wanted it to be meaningful, not just a random, generic picture, so I put a lot of thought into what I wanted. I had a general idea, but then one night a vision popped into my head. I sketched it out, and then went on the net and did some cut and paste to put together an example. I sized it and cut it out and wore it on my ankle to make sure it was what I really wanted.

Finally, the big day came. Yesterday, I went and did it. The hubby got a new tattoo as well. He got one right after we got married, so this was his second. Mine took about fifteen minutes...his took two hours.

Here's how mine turned out:

It's a bouquet of six tulips done in pink and blue with a purple ribbon with a cross on it. The six blooms stand for our babies. We lost three to miscarriage, donated two embryos to science when we knew we couldn't use them, and had one failed invitro attempt.

Not that we'll ever forget, but this way, others will remember too. Everyone who's seen it so far loves it. A few have cried. It means a lot that they understand what this means to me/us.

Until next time,

Happy Reading,

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

3 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

You're making me cry, Debra! I had no idea you went through all that. The tattoo is beautiful, even more so because of its symbolism.

Morgan Mandel

Debra St. John said...

Thanks, Morgan. (Sorry I made you cry!)

Deb Larson said...

Deb ~ how precious to honor your babies in such a way. God is right in the midst of it all, right where He has always been, I'm sure. And some things are worth crying over!! Whew!
I'm weepy thinking of your journey.
DL Larson